Football: Huskies’ offensive struggles continue in 12-3 loss to Tulane

10.13FootballvsTemplebyTroyCaldeira

UConn running back Ron Johnson carries the ball upfield during the Huskies’ loss to Temple on Sept. 27. Johnson ran for 35 yards on nine carries in a 12-3 loss to Tulane Saturday. (Photo by Troy Caldeira/The Daily Campus)

By Erica Brancato, Sports Editor

The UConn football team lost its fourth straight game this weekend as they fell to the Tulane Green Wave 12-3. Although UConn’s punter Bobby Puyol’s career long 44-yard field goal gave the Huskies an early 3-0 lead, it all went downhill from there. 

Though UConn possessed the ball for 27 total minutes, the offensive fumbles and interceptions led to their demise. With Arkeel Newsome’s two fumbles, Max DeLorenzo’s tackle that led to a Tulane safety and three turnovers in the Green Wave territory, UConn’s offensive mistakes continue to bring them down. 

Although head coach Bob Diaco was adamant about a two-quarterback system in the beginning of the season, ever since former quarterback Casey Cochran ended his career the system has gone out the window. Despite Diaco’s claim that backup quarterback Tim Boyle will play, we haven’t seen much from him on the field. 

Boyle made two passing attempts against Tulane for no yards gained and one turnover, while Chandler Whitmer went 17-24 with 141 total yards, four sacks and no touchdowns. Although Deshon Foxx is also a quarterback for the Huskies, he did not see any playing time for this position. Instead he stayed at wide receiver and racked up 25 yards on offense. 

Tulane’s quarterback Nick Montana and the Green Wave defense led the team to victory as his Hall-of-Fame father Joe Montana sat in the stands. Montana led the offense with 135 passing yards and one touchdown in his first start this season, while freshman running back Sherman Badie led the Green Wave on the ground with 77 yards on 14 carries. 

Although UConn’s defense put up a fight against the Tulane offense, the Huskies won’t be a complete team without both the offense and defense working together and in sync. The defense cannot hold up the team by itself. 

The Huskies will have their second bye-week of the season to further their progress. UConn will travel to Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium to play No. 19 East Carolina on Thursday, Oct. 23.