Men's Hockey: Ice Bus rebounds with upset road win over No. 5 BU

UConn's Kasperi Ojantakanen attempts a shot during the Huskies' 2-1 loss to BU on Nov. 18, 2016 at the XL Center in Hartford, Connecticut. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s hockey team defeated No. 5/4 Boston University 4-0 in the second and final game of the home-and-home weekend series in Boston Saturday night. Even though UConn was outshot 37-20, the Huskies managed to play a solid team game and secure their third shutout victory of the season. With the win the Huskies move to 4-4-5 on the season and 2-2-1 in Hockey East play. 

The Huskies benefited from a solid performance by freshman goaltender Adam Huska, who received first star of the game honors. Huska stopped all 37 shots thrown his way tonight for to his first career NCAA shutout. With the win, Huska improves to 2-2-2 on the season with a .930 save percentage and a 2.60 goals against average.

The UConn penalty kill also came up big tonight, killing all three power plays the Terriers had. The penalty killers also held Boston University to three shots on three power play opportunities, including one total shot on the final two power plays in the 3rd period. The lack of shots by the Terriers man advantage contributed to the success of Adam Huska.

The Huskies four goals came from four different players. Karl El-Mir opened the scoring in the second period with his fifth goal of the season. Kasperi Ojantakanen added another goal, his second of the year, six minutes later to extend the lead to 2-0 before the end of the second period. Johnny Austin assisted on both second period goals.

In the third period David Drake tallied his second goal of the season less than two minutes in, and Corey Ronan’s first goal of the season extended the lead to 4-0 and was the final goal of the night. The four UConn goals were all scored at even strength, and the Huskies were 0-4 on the power play with five shots.

The loss moves the Terriers to 6-4-1, and 2-1-1 in Hockey East action. This was Boston University’s first loss on home ice this season. UConn will look to keep this momentum rolling into Tuesday’s matchup with Boston College in Hartford. 

Jonathan Dupont is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jonathan.dupont@uconn.edu