Women's Basketball: UConn looks to stay hot on the road against LSU

UConn's Kia Nurse drives to the basket in the Huskies' 72-61 victory over Baylor on Nov. 17, 2016 at Gampel Pavilion. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

After extending their second-longest win streak in program history to 77 games with a win over No. 2 Baylor, the Huskies will travel down on Sunday to Baton Rouge, Lousiana on Saturday in a battle of undefeated teams. The LSU Lady Tigers are 3-0 and are off to their best start since the 2009-10 campaign where they won their first nine games of the season.

UConn this year has already collected two ranked wins, defeating No. 12 Florida State on the road and No. 2 Baylor at Gampel Pavilion. Through two games, the two leading scorers for the Huskies are sophomore Napheesa Collier with 19 points per game and freshman Crystal Dangerfield with 15 a game. Collier also leads the team in rebounds with 9.5 a contest.

As a whole, the Huskies have been averaging 75 points per game, while holding their opponents to 37.4 percent shooting and 68.5 points per game. LSU through three games has averaged 67.7 per game while holding their opponents to a noteworthy 61.7 points per game. 

The Lady Tigers at home so far are a perfect 2-0 as they defeated Wake Forest and Rice by scores of 60-57 and 66-55, respectively. Their lone road game was their season opener against Louisiana Tech, where the Lady Tigers scored a season-high 77 points in their four-point victory.

Leading the way for the Lady Tigers offensively has been Alexis Hyder, who leads the team with 15 points and eight rebounds per game. She is coming off a 15-point, eight-rebound and three-steal performance where she also extended her double-digit scoring streak to 11 games.

The Huskies lead the all-time series between the two teams 7-1, with UConn winning the last four meetings. The last meeting between the two teams came last season at the XL Center as UConn easily dispatched the Lady Tigers 86-40, behind Moriah Jefferson’s 17 points. The Lady Tigers lone victory against the Huskies came in impressive fashion, as they knocked UConn out of the 2007 NCAA tournament, moving on to the Final Four, where they ultimately lost by 24 to the runner-up Rutgers Scarlet Knights.

The game will tip-off at 5:30 p.m. this Sunday and will be televised nationally on ESPN, with radio coverage provided by UConn/IMG Sports Radio Network.

Matt Kren is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering women’s basketball. He can be reached via email at matthew.kren@uconn.edu.