Column: Obama continues to ignore threats against Israel

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu chairs the weekly cabinet meeting at his office in Jerusalem, Sunday, Oct. 11, 2015. (Abir Sultan/Pool Photo via AP)

In July of this year, the United States reached an agreement with Iran and six other world powers in an attempt to curb Iran’s nuclear program. In return, the United Nations and U.S. are agreeing to lift economic sanctions off Iran that have been in place for years. Although it is a noble effort in toward settling world conflicts, an apparent “historic deal,” the danger this imposes to Israel is still very eminent and will not disappear even with the promised “scale back” Iran has committed to. 

Israel and its Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, firmly stand against this agreement and have made that clear to the world, although no one seems to be listening. At the 70th Session of the UN General Assembly meeting, Netanyahu exclaimed that Iranian threats to destroy Israel have been met with complete silence. Since Congress was unable to adopt a resolution of disapproval against the Iran Deal, Netanyahu accepted a harrowing political loss.

It is unbelievable that now his words hold less weight in speaking with the White House, solely because his morally driven expectations were overshadowed by Obama’s hopes of peace in the Middle East. Although there is serious tension between Israel and the United States over this disagreement, they will be meeting this October to discuss potential fallout and concerns.

This deal is not a truly peaceful agreement. In reality, it is only delaying the inevitable conflict between Iran and Israel who both share a violent history. If anyone thinks Iran will actually uphold their side of the agreement, they should take a second look at Iran Supreme Leader’s perspective on the situation. Ironically, a day before Obama prevented any backlash against the deal at the beginning of September, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei declared that Israel will not exist in 25 years. He also referred to the United States as “Satan” and said that no new negotiations will ever be made with our government.

The Supreme Leader was replying to comments that Israel would be kept safe under the negotiations of the deal, and disputed them saying “I am telling you, first, you will not be around in 25 years’ time, and God willing, there will be no Zionist regime in 25 years. Second, during this period, the spirit of fighting, heroism and jihad will keep you worried every moment.” 

Now that Iran has the opportunity to flourish in the global economy, they will be able to support militant groups and carry out their death wish upon Israel. In the long run, it doesn’t make sense for our government to ignore how this deal is only beneficial for Iran. They are having their economic sanctions lifted, and in turn, develop their nuclear program at a much slower rate than before. What is stopping them from lying about the location of nuclear centrifuges? 

The only thing that is clear is that Iran’s Supreme Leader is not fond of the United States, even though they just made an extremely important decision together. It is honorable of our country to try and establish ties with one that has extremely different views than ours, however the violent and aggressive things Iran’s leader has said concerning the future fallout from this deal are not reassuring. At this point, Obama and his supporters should be doing everything they can to address Netanyahu’s apprehensions because they are imperative to the future of Israel.   

When the White House was questioned on Netanyahu’s address to the UN, a press secretary said “the president is proud of the strong relationship between our two countries, and the unshakable bond when it comes to our commitment to Israel’s security.” This bond is not as strong as the White House may believe, if they are not willing to acknowledge the danger Iran will always impose on Israel. It is not just speculation, but public knowledge that Iran’s Supreme Leader has only negative intentions on his enemies for the future.