UConn football preferred walk-on Dexter arrested twice Friday

UConn freshman linebacker Jack Dexter was arrested twice Friday night on six total charges, including criminal attempt/burglary and two counts of breach of peace, according to a police report.

Dexter, a preferred walk-on from Wilton, Connecticut, was first arrested at 9:37 p.m. for trying to gain entry into a on-campus residence.

“Police responded to Snow Hall for a report of a male banging on the window and door to an apartment,” the police report said. “The 911 caller reported that the male was trying to gain entry into the room, and was threatening to assault the occupants in the room.”

Dexter then fled the scene before police arrived. Police were later able to locate him in the nearby area based on the physical description the caller gave, the report said.

Police found two fake Connecticut driver's licenses and a half empty bottle of whiskey on Dexter at the time of the arrest, according to the report.

He was charged with breach of peace in the second degree, two counts of forgery, criminal attempt/burglary, possession of alcohol by a minor and threatening in the second degree.

Officers later attempted to release Dexter to his mother on a $10,000 non-surety bond based on the incident occurring at Snow Hall, the report said. Before his release, “Dexter was becoming increasingly irritated, cursing and yelling at officers,” according the report.

However, while meeting his mother in the lobby of the police station, Dexter became “enraged and belligerent, running out of the front of the police station and throwing his belongings at his mother’s vehicle,” according to the police report. He continued to berate police officers and his mother.

According to the report, Dexter began to “stand over his mother in a physically intimidating fashion” as he continued to scream and curse at her.

Dexter then began “slamming his fist violently into the window and side of the vehicle,” according to the report. Dexter also began to “tense up and make advances towards officers as if he was going to physically assault them,” whereupon he was arrested for a second time after previously being released on bond.

He was charged with second-degree breach of peace and was brought back into the UConn police department headquarters. His bond for the second arrest was set at $5,000.

“The division of athletics is aware of the incident and he will go through the normal process that any university student does with this case...through the court system and student affairs,” Mike Enright, the Senior Associate Director of Athletics and Sports Information Director for the football team, said.

Dexter is still a member of the team, Enright said.

Matt Zampini is sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.zampini@uconn.edu. He tweets @Matt_Zamp.