Huskies in the NBA: Walker carries Hornets, Drummond stays hot

Charlotte Hornets' Jeremy Lamb (3) and Kemba Walker (15) react after Lamb's basket against the Washington Wizards in the second half of an NBA basketball game in Charlotte, N.C., Wednesday, Nov. 25, 2015. The Hornets won 101-87. (Chuck Burton/AP)

Kemba Walker continued his hot start to the season last Monday, scoring a season-high 39 points in a 127-122 overtime victory against the Sacramento Kings. He also posted six rebounds, five assists and three blocks, and two steals.

Walker led the Charlotte Hornets back from a 22-point second half deficit to outduel former Husky Rudy Gay in overtime. He is averaging 18.4 points, 5.0 assists, and 3.4 rebounds per game in 17 games so far.

Meanwhile, Walker’s teammate Jeremy Lamb has continued to justify his $21 million price tag. The fourth-year shooting guard is Charlotte’s spark off the bench, averaging 12.8 points and 5.1 rebounds per game this season.

While he hasn’t started a game this year, he came off the bench on Sunday to help Charlotte come back again and beat the Milwaukee Bucks 87-82. Lamb scored 14 points on 6-12 shooting (3-6 from three) and grabbed 9 rebounds to help secure the win.

After an 0-3 start to the season, Walker and Lamb have propelled Charlotte to a 10-7 record, good for sixth in the Eastern Conference.

On the other side of Walker’s 39-point performance was Rudy Gay. Gay finished with 28 points and 10 rebounds in the loss, but he matched Walker basket for basket down the stretch, including a buzzer-beating alley-oop with no time left to send the game to overtime.

Though the Kings lost that game, Gay dropped 36 points on 13-21 shooting the very next game against the Milwaukee Bucks. He’s averaging 18.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game. With DeMarcus Cousins out for the next few games, expect Gay’s productivity, and scoring numbers, to continue to rise. 

Although Andre Drummond’s streak of double-doubles to open the season ended at 12 with his eight-point performance against the Washington Wizards on Nov. 21, Detroit’s star center has still been one of the most fearsome players in the NBA this season.

Drummond went for 25 points and 18 rebounds in a win against the Cleveland Cavaliers on November 17, and 18 points, 20 rebounds, and five blocks in a win against the Miami Heat just last week.

The Pistons have cooled off after a red-hot start to the season, but Drummond is still averaging 18.1 points, a league-leading 17.2 rebounds and 1.5 blocks.

Peter Harasyko is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering UConn men's hockey. He can be reached via email at peter.harasyko@uconn.edu.