Huskies in the NFL: Week 12 leads to first touchdowns for two Huskies

Houston Texans tight end Ryan Griffin (84) runs toward the end zone to score a touchdown after catching a pass as New Orleans Saints strong safety Kenny Vaccaro (32) defends during the first quarter of an NFL football game, Sunday, Nov. 29, 2015, in Houston. (Eric Christian Smith/AP)

Houston Texans tight end Ryan Griffin had his best game of the season so far in a 24-6 win over the New Orleans Saints. Griffin finished with four receptions for 72 yards, as well as a touchdown, his first of the season. It was the first touchdown of the game, coming on a 10-yard strike with 6:57 left in the first quarter to cap off an 11-play, 6:06 drive.

Quarterback Brian Hoyer had to escape pressure and found Griffin by the right pylon on an improvised play. Griffin finished as the game’s leading receiver. 

Elsewhere, wide receiver Nick Williams caught what would be the Atlanta Falcons only touchdown of the day as the Falcons fell to the Minnesota Vikings 20-10. The grab came late in the game, with 1:28 left in the game and the Falcons trailing by 17. It was a short 1-yard pass coming on first and goal from the 1-yard line. The score was Williams’ first touchdown of the season and he finished the game with three receptions for 16 yards.

The Dallas Cowboys took a 33-14 beating from the Carolina Panthers on Thanksgiving evening but rookie defensive back Byron Jones still put up a solid effort. Getting the start at cornerback, Jones had two tackles to go along with two pass deflections.

He made big plays on the final drive of the first half. After solid coverage for most of the drive, on first and goal he broke up a pass intended for Greg Olsen and then broke up a potential touchdown to Devin Funchess on third and goal, holding the Panthers to only a field goal.

In other action, Tennessee Titans corner back Blidi Wreh-Wilson had one of his more stout defensive games, finishing with four solo tackles despite a 24-21 loss to the Oakland Raiders. Indianapolis Colts cornerback Darius Butler had three tackles in their 25-12 win against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

In the same game, linebacker Danny Lansanah had four tackles for the Bucs. Jacksonville Jaguars defensive back Dwayne Gratz also had four solo tackles but the Jaguars could not overcome the San Diego Chargers in a 31-25 defeat.

Matt Barresi is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.barresi@uconn.edu.