North Hillside Road extension slated for Dec. 18 completion

Construction vehicles are seen at the site of the North Hillside Road extension in Storrs, Connecticut on Nov. 29, 2015. The project, which will connect North Hillside Road with Route 44, is scheduled to be completed on Dec. 18. (Allen Lang/The Daily Campus)

The extension of North Hillside road, which will connect the existing roadway near Charter Oak Apartments with Route 44, is anticipated to be completed and open by Dec. 18, 2015.

The remaining construction activities include the final top paving, installation of the roadway lights, line stripping, sidewalk installation, complete guardrail install and the route 44 traffic light installation, said project manager John Warner.

According to Warner the goal of the contractor is to open the road around Dec. 18, but the completion of some construction activities is dependent on weather.

“The roadway includes two lanes, bike lane and sidewalk. The project also includes the installation of utilities for the Technology Park Development including: water, reclaimed water, sanitary sewer, storm drainage, telecommunications, electric, and gas, and includes 3 wetlands crossings,” UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said.

All underground work has been completed. Apart from the completion of the road itself, all that remains is landscaping, which is to be finished by spring 2016, according to Reitz.

“Traffic in and out of campus in the mornings and afternoons can get ridiculous,” said Alexander Kelly, seventh-semester chemical engineering major. “Any attempt to mitigate that will be good.”

The extension will provide a new entry point to campus, which will be helpful in relieving traffic, especially on days when there is a large influx of visitors coming to campus, such as for basketball games at Gampel or Jorgensen events, according to Reitz.

“Also, many commuters park in north garage and having a road lead right to a major parking garage will reduce the amount of traffic around campus where there are a lot of walkers,” Kelly said.

The extension will make the commute for students living in the Charter Oak area much easier, Kelly said. “A lot of people are excited.”

Brenna Kelly is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at brenna.kelly@uconn.edu.