Review: 'Jessica Jones' another powerful Netflix original series

“And then there’s the matter of your bill.” Our protagonist, the eponymousemotional wreck known as Jessica Jones, utters these words after tossing an unruly client through her glass door.

This Netflix original series “Jessica Jones,” coming off the heels of “Daredevil,” stars a private eye who gets reeled into stopping a man named Killgrave, the reason behind many emotional traumas. In the tradition of many Marvel characters, she has superpowers – specifically, super strength, as exhibited when she effortlessly lifts the rear of an Aston Martin Vantage.

Meanwhile, our main villain Killgrave is a man donning a purple formal suit and has the power to coerce anybody into doing anything he says. From what I’ve seen so far, he is no stranger to suggesting homicide and suicide. His villainy is made all the more prominent by the fact he’s play by David Tennant - previously the protagonist of the English sci-fi series “Doctor Who.”

“Jessica Jones” is really mature and gritty, with several scenes depicting rough sex between Jones and an acquaintance she meets early in the series. Likewise, Killgrave gets people to commit absolutely deplorable things – in one moment, Jones encounters a young child who briefly acts as Killgrave’s proxy, dropping expletives and greatly disparaging statements to her.

It’s got great dialogue, that at the same time, isn’t overly dramatic – I could see myself overhearing real people saying these things. Jones has a fantastic foil for her in the form of her friend Trish, who is a blonde, popular host of a radio program; contrast this with the dark-haired, baggy-eyed, alcoholic and overly cynical Jones.

Similarly to the CW’s “The Flash,” “Jessica Jones” has an LGBT couple who plays remarkably as secondary characters. Jones works for a middle-aged, lesbian lawyer, whose marital status becomes a plot point when the legal paperwork involving her marriage becomes relevant to Jones as a bargaining chip.

In addition, “Jessica Jones” feels like a very relevant series to today’s society and the rising popularity of feminism, as Killgrave’s entire character revolves around forcing people to do things without their consent, a topic of debate on college campuses in the wake of horrifying campus sexual assault statistics.

Overall, I would highly recommend “Jessica Jones;” the story’s superheroism and superpowers take a back seat to character development. The series, at least thus far, is a story about confronting your past and critiquing yourself. It’s certainly a step above Marvel’s super-villain Thanos having his own helicopter.

However, I had not read the original comic book the “Jessica Jones” TV series bases itself on, so I have no concept of how faithful this work is to the original. Nevertheless, Netflix’s take on “Jessica Jones” remains a powerful work in its own right, even when entirely removed from its Marvel comic book context. 

Max Engel is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at max.engel@uconn.edu.