UConn officials to propose 31 percent increase on in-state tuition over 4 years

Vice President for Enrollment Planning and Management Wayne Locust (left), Chief Financial Officer Scott Jordan (center) and Provost Mun Choi (right) address questions from members of the media in the UConn Student Union before a town hall meeting with students, faculty and staff on proposed tuition increases over the next four years on Tuesday, Dec. 1, 2015. (Kyle Constable/The Daily Campus)

University of Connecticut officials are proposing a plan to increase in-state tuition by 31.1 percent over the next four years.

The plan also calls for an out-of-state tuition increase of 13.7 percent in the same span. The combined tuition hikes would result in an additional $12.8 million in revenue, reducing the university’s budget gap from $40.2 million to $27.4 million in the coming fiscal year.

Under the plan, in-state students entering the university in Fall 2016 would see an increase of nearly 6.7 percent from 2015-16 tuition expenses, from $10,524 to $11,224. Overall, the proposal would increase in-state tuition incrementally to $13,799 by the start of the 2019-2020 academic year.

For out-of-state students, it would amount to an increase of 3 percent next fall from $32,066 to $33,016. By the start of the Fall 2019 semester, it would increase to $36,466.

In raw numbers, the plan would increase in-state tuition by $3,275 over four years and out-of-state tuition by $4,400 over the same span.

As if the existing budget gap was not difficult enough to deal with, the university is likely facing between $13 million and $21 million in additional state funding cuts in the current fiscal year, according to Jordan. This would extend the size of the budget gap, which Jordan said necessitates the sharp tuition increases.

“We’re not blaming the state for this,” Jordan said. “We acknowledge that the state is in difficult shape, but our goal is to protect the university and the quality of education going forward.”

Members of the UConn Board of Trustees will consider the proposal at their Dec. 16 meeting.

Kyle Constable is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kyle.constable@uconn.edu. He tweets @KyleConstable.