Women's Basketball: Huskies play former Big East foe

Senior forward Breanna Stewart looks for a shot during UConn's 88-46 victory over Nebraska. Stewart has been named American Conference Player of the Week twice already this season. (Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus).

The No. 1 UConn Huskies (4-0) will head to No.23 DePaul (5-1) today as they look to continue their hot start to the season.

Senior forward Breanna Stewart leads the Huskies, winners of 41 straight games dating back to last season, on the offensive end. Stewart, who has been named American Conference Player of the Week twice already this season, will pose a tough matchup for DePaul.

Stewart averages 22 points per game this season while also grabbing 7.8 rebounds per game. Stewart has also been remarkably consistent during the first five games of the season, shooting 63 percent from the field. In last season’s matchup between UConn and DePaul, Stewart scored 25 points on their way to a 98-64 victory.

Stewart is also two blocks away from tying Tina Charles for fourth all time in career blocks in UConn history at 304.

In addition to Stewart, fellow senior Moriah Jefferson has had a strong start to the season at the point guard position. Jefferson, who averages 14.3 points per game and five assists while also shooting 73 percent, will be a tough matchup for DePaul based on her speed.

DePaul has been playing well offensively this season, averaging 87 points per game and outscoring their opponents by an average of 27 points per game.

The trio of guards Megan Podkowa, Jessica January and Chanise Jenkins lead DePaul offensively. Podkowa is averaging a team high 15.8 points per game, January averages 13.2 points per game and Jenkins averages 11.8 points per game. These three will have their hands full as they try to match UConn’s scoring output.

The team has been good on both sides of the ball this year. UConn averages 91 points per game and holds opponents to an average of 47.5 points per game.

Another player to watch for the Huskies is sophomore forward Gabby Williams. Williams has been inserted into the starting lineup this year and has taken advantage of her opportunities in the first four games. Williams currently averages 11 points per game and 10 rebounds per game through her first four starts.

UConn has a 12-1 all-time record against DePaul and have won the last 12 matchups. The Huskies will look to use this game as momentum heading into a matchup on Saturday with No.3 Notre Dame.

UConn and DePaul will tip-off at 7:30 p.m. and can be seen on Fox Sports 1. 

Spencer Mayfield is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at spencer.mayfield@uconn.edu. He tweets @SpenceMayfield.