Huskies in the NBA: Drummond struggles

Detroit Pistons' Andre Drummond (0) blocks a shot by Charlotte Hornets' Kemba Walker (15) in the second half of an NBA basketball game in Charlotte, N.C., Monday, Dec. 7, 2015. (AP Photo/Chuck Burton)

For the first time, Andre Drummond failed to record double digit rebounds or points on Monday against the Hornets. I’m sure Detroit Pistons fans will forgive the big man, as he is averaging 18 points and 16.5 rebounds per game. What’s even more astounding is that the former Husky is cashing in on only 37 percent of his 7.2 free throw attempts per game. It’s safe to assume the Pistons will be searching for any method to improve his productivity at the line. However, Drummond is on the fast track to the All-Star game in Toronto, as long as he continues to play with the same motor he has all season.

While Drummond posted relatively low rebounding numbers on Monday, Kemba Walker recorded his season high, matching Drummond with nine rebounds. Walker also put up 14 points in the winning effort. Jeremy Lamb helped him out with six points, seven rebounds and three assists of his own off the bench. Lamb also posted double-digit scoring performances with 13 points against the Warriors last Wednesday and 10 points against the Bulls on Saturday.

Charlie Villanueva doesn’t get a lot of attention with the Dallas Mavericks, but he has shown that he is always ready when his number is called. Villanueva got 18 minutes off the bench last Tuesday against Portland and scored 10 points in a 115-112 win. Villanueva was given 14 minutes on Sunday against the Wizards and once again scored 10 points, while also picking up four rebounds and a block in the winning effort. The Maverick’s depth could be tested this season with an aging roster and Villanueva has proven himself to be a reliable option off the bench.

Although the Kings have lost three of their last four games, Rudy Gay has been an efficient scoring machine. Gay is averaging 19 points per game on 55 percent shooting in four games in December. He is also grabbing six rebounds per game, which he has done all season long. The former UConn star has become the stable veteran force on a sometimes unstable team.

Aaron Esposito is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at aaron.esposito@uconn.edu.