Women's Basketball: Stewart shines in homecoming game

Connecticut’s Breanna Stewart shoots in the third quarter of an NCAA college basketball game against Colgate in Hamilton, N.Y., Wednesday, Dec. 9, 2015. (AP Photo/Nick Lisi)

Just 40 miles from her home in North Syracuse, New York, Breanna Stewart turned in one of the best performances of her career against Colgate in front of numerous friends and family members and a sold-out crowd at Cotterell Court.

The senior forward led all scorers with 22 points, 10 assists and seven rebounds in just three quarters en route to UConn’s 94-50 win over the Raiders. The 10 assists are a career-high for Stewart, who finished just three rebounds short of the fifth triple-double in program history.

While Stewart fell short of the triple-double, she still managed to make history against Colgate. Her fourth assist of the night made Stewart the only player in NCAA history with 300 assists and 300 blocks for her career. On top of her seven rebounds and 10 assists, Stewart added four steals and two blocks to fill out the stat sheet.

Stewart’s 22 points left her just six points away from tying Rebecca Lobo for eighth on UConn’s all-time scoring list. Currently sitting at 2,127 career points, Stewart can pass Kara Wolters for seventh all-time with 15 points against No. 11 Florida State this coming Friday.

Stewart got the Huskies (7-0) rolling right off the bat against the Raiders (1-6), scoring 14 points in the first quarter alone to give UConn a 26-16 lead.

After being outscored in the second quarter for two straight games, the Huskies halted the streak against Colgate, outscoring the Raiders 22-5 thanks to 12 points from Morgan Tuck. UConn opened the quarter on a 10-0 run and held Colgate scoreless for nearly half the quarter until Mylah Chandler hit a jumper with 5:02 left in the half. The Huskies would head into halftime up 48-21.

Tuck finished the game second to Stewart in scoring with 20 points on 10-11 shooting. Kia Nurse, Gabby Williams and Napheesa Colllier joined Tuck and Stewart in double figures. Nurse and Williams each had 11 points, while Collier tied a career-high with 10 points.

UConn would hold the Raiders to single-digits once again in the third quarter, with Colgate scoring just seven points. Stewart would add five points, two assists and four rebounds in her final quarter of play to help the Huskies outscore the Raiders 26-7.

With Stewart out after a huge ovation in front of her hometown crowd to end the third quarter, Colgate took advantage and outscored the Huskies by two points in the fourth quarter. Paige Kriftcher scored nine of her team’s points in the quarter, all from behind the three-point line. The senior guard would finish the game as the only Raider in double digits, scoring 21 points and shooting 7-8 from beyond the arc.

While the Huskies managed to not give up 10 or more three-pointers for the third-straight game, Kriftcher made it close for Colgate, hitting seven of the team’s nine three-pointers in the game. The Raiders would finish the night shooting 47.4 percent from the three-point line, with Ariel Ehteridge and Katie Curtis scoring the other two Colgate three-pointers.

Randyll Butler finished the game second on the team with eight points for the Raiders, while Ehteridge, Chandler and Josie Stockill each added six points. 

Dan Madigan is the associate sports editor, covering women's basketball for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @DMad1433