The best study hotspots on campus, from cultural centers to the Union

Students are seen working in the Homer Babbidge Library on UConn's Storrs campus. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

Finals are quickly approaching and the Homer Babbidge Library is going to fill up faster than Gampel Pavilion during a University of Connecticut men’s basketball championship. 

If you’re struggling to find a place to sit down and go hard on your organic chemistry or calculus final, your fellow Huskies are here to help you find the best study spot on campus for you. 

Homer Babbage Library is the first place that many students think to go to when they need to study, but many more forget the other libraries that are available to students. 

“On campus I really like stepping outside the Homer Babbidge norm to study in either the Pharmacy Library or the Music Library across from Buckley,” said Megan Pattoli, a third-semester pathobiology major.

These libraries are usually not as crowded and I personally love studying in the Music Library. 

Cultural centers are also available to students looking to study in a relatively relaxed space. The Asian American Cultural Center, African American Cultural Center, Puerto Rican Latin American Cultural Center, Rainbow Center and the Women’s Center can all be found in the Student Union. 

Welcome to all, the Asian American Cultural Center (AsACC), can be a good study spot to get your work done. I’ve only ever been in AsACC to study out of the mentioned centers and it’s a very welcoming and relaxed environment. AsACC is also filled with many friendly faces and fellow students willing to help if you need it. 

“The third floor of the union is nice,” Nicole Angel, third-semester nursing major, commented when asked about study spots on campus. 

The Student Union can be a great place to work. First-semester acting major Pearl Matteson said, “At night, if I’m not in my room, I tend to study in the Union. The rooms near the Blue Cow are wonderful because I am able to focus, but there is still that sense of productiveness and campus life outside the studying atmosphere.”

Students can find good places to study in buildings like Oak Hall, Laurel Hall and the Information Technologies Engineering Building. 

“One of the best study spots I’ve found on campus is to use the rooms in Oak at night. You can get a whole study group together,” Vivienne Liu, second-year math and economics major, said. 

Another place some students may not think about exploring is the Academic Achievement Center at Rowe Center for Undergraduate Education and Wilbur Cross Building. Seventh-semester senior political science major Angelica Daguplo said she doesn’t usually study on campus. But, when she does, it’s at Wilbur Cross. 

“I love the South Ballroom in Wilbur Cross because it feels like you’re in someone’s home library and it’s cozy, warm and motivating with all of the books surrounding you,” Daguplo says. 

Personally, my favorite places to study are the Music Library, the Art Building and the classroom in my residence hall. Not many people are there so it’s a good space to focus. 

UConn has plenty of good study spots where students can really get down to studying. By making use of these spots, students may find some elusive peace and quiet and finally study for final exams.

Kharl Reynado s a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kharl.reynado@uconn.edu.