Women's Basketball: Huskies aim for 8-0 against No. 11 Florida State

UConn women's basketball senior guard Moriah Jefferson is seen driving toward the basket during the Huskies' game against No. 3 Notre Dame at Gampel Pavilion in Storrs, Connecticut on Saturday, Dec. 5, 2015. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

No. 1 UConn women’s basketball is facing another big non-conference test Friday against the No. 11 Florida State Seminoles in the Hall of Fame Classic.

The Huskies (7-0) have been rolling to start the season. They are currently on a 44-game winning streak dating back to last season and have wins over three top-25 teams.

A big part of their success has been the consistent play of their starting frontcourt, led by senior forward Breanna Stewart. Stewart is averaging a team-high 23.9 points, 8.6 rebounds and three blocks per game. Stewart also recently became the only player in NCAA history to record 300 blocks and 300 assists in her career.

Stewart has a chance to make more history against Florida State (7-1). The forward is just six points way from tying Rebecca Lobo for eighth place on UConn’s all-time scoring list. She is 14 points shy of Kara Walters who is in seventh place, a mark that is also achievable for Stewart in the matchup.

In addition to Stewart, junior Morgan Tuck is also quietly having a great start to the season. Tuck is doing all the little things for UConn, averaging 15 points, six rebounds and three assists per game. She is also shooting 50 percent from the field.

This UConn team will be up against a Florida State team that has been great defensively this season. The Seminoles are ranked ninth in the nation in points allowed per game, giving up just 49.4 points per game to opponents. They are also outscoring opponents by 28.9 points per game, the seventh-best scoring margin in the nation. However, the Huskies have the best scoring margin in the nation, outscoring opponents 34.9 points per game.

Florida State is led offensively by a dynamic frontcourt duo of its own. Senior center Adut Bulgak, leads the team in scoring and rebounding. She is averaging 16.9 points per game and 8.1 rebounds per game.

Sophomore forward Shakayla Thomas is averaging 16.5 points per game and is also averaging 6.4 rebounds per game. Florida State will need big games out of both players if the Seminoles hope to upset the Huskies.

The frontcourt matchup will certainly be something to watch in the eighth meeting all-time between UConn and Florida State. The Huskies are 7-0 all time against the Seminoles.

The game will tip-off at 6 p.m. and can be seen on ESPN2.

Spencer Mayfield is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at spencer.mayfield@uconn.edu. He tweets @SpenceMayfield.