Women's Basketball: Freshman forward De'Janae Boykin to transfer

Boykin (#5) played for Team USA in the 2014 Youth Olympics alongside future UConn teammates Napheesa Collier (#11) and Katie Lou Samuelson (#12). Boykin, a freshman forward, announced she will transfer after the fall semester.

Freshman forward De’Janae Boykin has decided to transfer from the UConn women’s basketball team following the completion of fall semester exams, per a press release from the school. She will have four years of eligibility remaining.

“Recently De’Janae expressed her desire to be closer to home,” UConn head coach Geno Auriemma said in a press release.  “She is a great kid and I am glad I was able to get to know De’Janae and her family.  The entire coaching staff and team wish her nothing but the best in the future.”

Boykin never appeared in a game for the Huskies as she dealt with an Achilles injury and academic issues.

Prior to joining the Huskies, Boykin averaged 21.5 points in six games during her senior year in high school before a season-ending wrist injury. Boykin also won a gold medal at the 2014 Youth Olympic Games, claiming the 3x3 competition with her fellow UConn recruiting class members, Napheesa Collier and Katie Lou Samuelson.

The Springdale, Maryland native was ranked the No. 23 recruit in the HoopGurlz/espnW 100 for the high school class of 2015. Before committing to the Huskies, the 6-foot-2-inch forward considered North Carolina, Penn State, Virginia and Tennessee.

Boykin is now the third player to leave in the program in the last three seasons after Brianna Banks transferred to Penn State after the 2013-14 season and Sadie Edwards transferred to Southern California after the fall semester last season.

Dan Madigan is the associate sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @DMad1433