Women's Basketball: Stewart moves to No. 3 on all-time scoring list in rout

Breanna Stewart’s 16 points moved her into third place on UConn’s all-time scoring list as the No. 1 ranked Huskies (11-0) defeated Cincinnati (4-7) 107-45 in their American Athletic Conference opener.

The victory was more of the same for the Huskies in the American as they improved to 43-0 all-time in the conference. The Huskies also won their 48th straight game dating back to last season.

Connecticut's Breanna Stewart (30) shoots over Cincinnati's Chelsea Warren (25) in the first half of an NCAA college basketball game, Wednesday, Dec. 30, 2015, in Cincinnati. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

UConn was clicking the entire night on the offensive end, reaching a season high in points. They eclipsed the 100-point mark for the second time this season. The Huskies also had eight players reach double figures in scoring. 

Redshirt sophomore Natalie Butler made her UConn debut and scored 11 points with 8 rebounds in 15 minutes. After sitting out all of last season because of NCAA transfer rules, the Georgetown University transfer missed UConn’s first 10 games of this season with an injured thumb.

The Huskies were the aggressor right out of the gate as their full court press turned defense into easy offense. UConn jumped out to a quick 13-3 lead that forced Cincinnati to call a timeout three minutes into the game.

The Huskies extended their lead to 31-11 at the end of the first quarter thanks to their sharpshooting. UConn made four of its 11 three-pointers in the first quarter.

In the second quarter, the combination of Butler and Gabby Williams made an impact in the post for the Huskies. Butler scored five points in the quarter while Williams had six of her 13 points.

At the half UConn led 54-21. The Huskies did an excellent job sharing the ball in the first half as the team had 17 assists on 22 field goals at the break. The Huskies also shot 55-percent from the field in the half due to the quality of shots they were taking.

In the second half, UConn continued to dominate the game as they received all-around contributions. Freshman Napheesa Collier recorded her first career double-double with 11 points and 12 rebounds.

Starting guards Moriah Jefferson and Kia Nurse each had 10 points for the Huskies, and forward Morgan Tuck finished with 14 points. Saniya Chong also scored 13 points off the bench for UConn.

Cincinnati struggled offensively the whole night as they shot 26-percent from the field. Ana Owens led all scorers for Cincinnati with 10 points.

With the victory the Huskies have improved to 15-0 all-time against Cincinnati. UConn has now won 89 straight games against unranked opponents.

Spencer Mayfield is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at spencer.mayfield@uconn.edu. He tweets @SpenceMayfield.