UConn Honors announces 2016-2017 housing options in email

In this photo, the new STEM dorm is seen under construction behind the Sherman Family Sports Complex in Storrs, Connecticut on Monday, Nov. 2, 2015. (Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus)

An email sent out by the University of Connecticut Honors Program Thursday announced housing options for the Honors Learning Community for the 2016-2017 academic year.

Those options will be Snow Hall-South, Brock Hall-Alumni, Buckley, Shippee and the new Next Gen Hall. 

While it is currently understood that Connecticut Commons will be taken offline next year, the updated housing options listed will accommodate for the loss of CTC housing, according to the email.

Snow Hall in South will provide suite-style housing with approximately 310 rooms. Brock Hall in Alumni will provide approximately 234 double rooms and some triples. Buckley and Shippee will remain mostly first-year honors student housing with some floors of Shippee offered for returning honors students, according to the email.

Next Gen Hall is currently under construction and will offer one floor for Honors STEM majors, although not exclusive to just STEM majors, said Honors Program STEM Scholar advisor Kaitlin Heenehan Thursday at an informational meeting.

Next Gen Hall will also house other learning communities such as WiMSE, Innovation House and Engineering House. The building will include study spaces, classroom spaces and a computer lab, according to the email.

“There will be a separate application for the one floor of the Next Gen Hall and more information about that will be coming next week,” Kaitlin Heenehan said.

This will be the only housing option with a supplemental application.

More information on Next Gen Hall housing will be sent to all current first year students next week and all rising sophomores will be able to apply, Heenehan said.

Brenna Kelly is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at brenna.kelly@uconn.edu.