Football: UConn to meet Marshall in St. Petersburg Bowl on Dec. 26

Marshall's Doc Holiday claps for his players during the first half of an NCAA college football game against Western Kentucky on Friday, Nov. 27, 2015, at L.T. Smith Stadium in Bowling Green, Ky. (Michael Noble Jr./AP)

After numerous reports throughout the past few weeks, the Huskies will officially play in the St. Petersburg Bowl on Saturday, Dec. 26 at 11 a.m. against Marshall. The game can be seen on ESPN.

The game will be played at Tropicana Field, the home of the Tampa Bay Rays. UConn men’s basketball also won its first national championship at the same venue.

This marks the sixth bowl game the Huskies have played in in program history and the first since they played Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl in 2011.

“The UConn football family is very honored to be playing in the 2015 St. Petersburg Bowl,” UConn head football coach Bob Diaco said in a statement Sunday. “I am especially excited for our senior class, who are an outstanding group of young men and have worked so hard for this. I also want to congratulate Marshall on their selection to the bowl and on an excellent season. We look forward to the challenge of meeting an outstanding football program. I know our strong fan and alumni base in Florida will be supportive of the St. Petersburg Bowl and will make their presence known.”

UConn finished the season 6-6 and 4-4 in the American Athletic Conference. A year ago, the Huskies finished 2-10. This is Diaco’s second season as head coach for UConn.

Marshall, playing in the Conference USA, finished with a 9-3 overall record and 6-2 in conference play. The Thundering Herd posted a win over Purdue in the team’s season opener. Marshall is coached by Doc Holliday.

"We have a very good matchup this year with UConn, a program on the rise that just knocked off undefeated Houston, and Marshall is one win away from notching its third consecutive 10-win season," Brett Dulaney, executive director of the St. Petersburg Bowl, said in a statement. "Surprisingly this is the first time that UConn is playing a bowl game in Florida so we hope to see many of their fans make the trip to take advantage of our tropical weather and bowl week events. We enjoyed hosting Marshall in 2011 and look forward to having them back again this year and seeing lots of Thundering Herd fans in St. Petersburg."

Matt Zampini is sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.zampini@uconn.edu. He tweets  @Matt_Zamp.