Chamber music ensembles play at von der Mehden Recital Hall

The Chamber music ensemble performed works by Beethoven, Mozart and contemporary artists during a recital at J. Louis von der Mehden Recital Hall on Saturday, Dec. 5, 2015. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

Student musicians gathered at the J. Louis von der Mehden Recital Hall Saturday to play a series of short arrangements Sunday afternoon. The performance, free and open to the public, brought a crowd of about 60, eager to spend their evening with Beethoven, Mozart and a few more contemporary works.

The standout performance included selections from “L’Historie du Soldat” by Igor Stravinksy, which took the shape of a manically energetic march, richly rendered by pianist Monica Ly. As it progressed, the piece felt like a kind of descent into madness, alternating between sharp sweetness and slamming heaviness.

“Beethoven’s String Quarte in F Major, Op. 18, No. 1” was also exceptional. It was a spirited, happy piece with moments of dramatic discord and bouts of frantic emotion.

The musicians alternated between pieces in groups of three to seven.

Burrill Phillip’s “Piece for 6 Trombones” featured 7 trombones carring a waving introspective introduction before moving to a more severe and desolate place. The progressions came to quick exhales and rising then falling actions.

Other performances included “Four Movements for Five Brass” by Collier Jones, “Mozart’s Quartet No. 14 in G Major,” “K. 387” by Mozart and “Euphonic Sounds” by Scott Joplin.

Christopher McDermott is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.mcdermott@uconn.edu.