Column: Stephen Curry, arsonist

Golden State Warriors' Stephen Curry celebrates after teammate Jason Thompson scores a three point shot against the Toronto Raptors during the first half of an NBA basketball game in Toronto, Saturday, Dec. 5, 2015. (Chris Young/The Canadian Press via AP)

The Golden State Warriors are coming off an NBA championship and have started this season with a perfect 22-0. Their regular season winning streak, dating back to last season, totals at 26.

A slender wizard leads this team –this historic, fire breathing, Earth-destroying team – and his name is Stephen Curry.

Ladies and gentlemen, we will never see anything like this again.

According to ESPN writer Kevin Pelton, Curry has tied NBA records for games with eight or more three pointers (six) and nine or more three pointers made(two) in a season.

The NBA record for Player Efficiency Rating (PER) is 31.82, set by Wilt Chamberlain in 1962. A player has finished with a PER over 30 just 18 times in league history. As of December 6th, Curry’s PER sits at 35.18.

Through 22 games, Curry has made 116 three pointers. To put that in perspective, Larry Bird led the NBA in most three pointers made in 1987 with 90. Not only does Curry own the all-time record for most three pointers made in a season, he holds the mark for second-most and fifth-most.

Curry is on pace to shatter his own record this year. If his pace holds, he will be the first player to make 400 threes in a season. He would also be the first to make 350. And 325. And 300. And 290.

Five Thirty Eight, Nate Silver’s statistical analysis website, ran a story this week titled, “Steph Curry is the Revolution,” claiming that Curry has broken basketball. The author of the piece, Benjamin Morris, broke down data and came up with this conclusion:

“Curry isn’t a product of the math; he’s so good that he has his own math. Indeed, the math is so far in Curry’s favor that the Warriors — and even basketball in general — may not fully understand what they have yet,” he wrote.

The sheer volume of statistics that Curry is putting up is staggering. Yet, it only tells a portion of the story.

Watching what Curry and the Warriors do every night is essentially basketball cocaine.

He just eviscerates teams. Right now, there is no greater sight in sports than seeing Curry get the ball in transition, above the elbow. If he’s within 35 feet of the basket, he’s likely to pull up. And that shot is most likely going to end up hitting nothing but net.

When he gets going with those backbreaking threes, like he did the other night against the Charlotte Hornets, the opposing team is done for. 

The Warriors have only played in six games in which the margin of victory was in single digits. The rest of the league simply has no answer for the onslaught that Curry is pouring on.

Curry is leading the league in scoring (32. 4 ppg), shooting 53 percent from the field, 47 percent from three (making 5.3 a game) and drilling 91.2 percent of his free throws. He’s only 27 years old and is in just year seven of his career. He is unquestionably the greatest shooter in NBA history.

We’re a quarter of the way through the NBA season and the Warriors are a real threat to win 70 or more games. Their leader, the reigning league MVP, is burning the league to the ground.

All stats are updated through Dec. 7, 2015.

Elan-Paolo DeCarlo is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at elan-paolo.decarlo@uconn.edu. He tweets @ElanDeCarlo.