Quick Hits: Football draws Marshall in bowl game, rugby wins national title

Marshall quarterback Michael Birdsong (11) is pressured by Western Kentucky defensive lineman Omarius Bryant (9) in the second half of a NCAA college football game on Friday, Nov. 27, 2015, at L.T. Smith Stadium in Bowling Green, Ky. (Michael Noble Jr./AP)

Another week, another national championship for UConn. The women’s rugby team capped a phenomenal season on Sunday, bringing home the Division I title in South Carolina. Elsewhere, UConn hockey notched a pair of critical wins against a top-five opponent, and UConn Football finally has their official bowl game matchup amidst much speculation. Check out the links for more:

Women’s rugby brings home national championship

The UConn women’s rugby team took home the USA Rugby Women’s Division I Fall Championship on Sunday. Hosted by Furman University, the Huskies defeated Air Force by a 19-12 score to capture theirWith the win, the Huskies completed a perfect 11-0 season and finished the season ranked No. 1 in the nation.

Men’s hockey sweeps No. 5 UMass-Lowell

The Huskies ended their eight-game losing streak in dramatic fashion this weekend, taking down the No. 5 UMass-Lowell River Hawks in a home-and-home series. Tage Thompson led the way for UConn, scoring twice on Saturday and once on Sunday – the game winner – to get the Huskies’ season back on the right track.

Football matched up with Marshall in St. Pete Bowl

UConn’s much-anticipated bowl game has been officially announced: the Huskies will take on Conference USA’s Marshall in the St. Petersburg Bowl on December 26. The Thundering Herd finished their season at 9-3, while UConn comes into the bowl game at 6-6, seeking their first winning season since 2010-2011. Marshall is looking for their third consecutive 10-win season.

Calipari admits missing on former UConn star

Kentucky men’s basketball coach John Calipari is widely considered one of the best recruiters and talent evaluators in the game. However, even he will admit that he’s far from perfect. In an interview with Fox Sports’ Colin Cowherd, Calipari listed former UConn point guard Kemba Walker as one of his biggest misses in college. Walker would go on to beat Calipari’s Wildcats twice during the 2010-2011 season, including in the Final Four.

Pete Harasyko is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at peter.harasyko@uconn.edu.