Huskies in the NFL, Week 13: Griffin, Williams stay hot

Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Nick Williams eludes Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Alterraun Verner (21) as he scores on a 5-yard touchdown reception during the fourth quarter of an NFL football game Sunday, Dec. 6, 2015, in Tampa, Fla. (AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack)

Houston Texans tight end Ryan Griffin and Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Nick Williams each grabbed touchdowns for the second consecutive week, a week after each made their first touchdown reception of the season.

Atlanta fell to division rival the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 23-19. Williams only had one reception, for five yards and a touchdown while being targeted twice. The short touchdown came on first-and-goal at the five-yard line and would give the Falcons a 19-16 lead with 10:41 left in the final quarter.

Opposite Williams and the Falcons, Buccaneers linebacker Danny Lansanah had a minimal contribution with a two-tackle performance. The Houston Texans also fell to the Buffalo Bills 30-21 but tight end Ryan Griffin had himself a good game. Griffin finished with three receptions for 29 yards and a touchdown. He was also targeted five times. Griffin’s score was the first strike of the game for the Texans, coming on a second-and-seven from the Bills eight-yard line on their second drive of the game. The touchdown put the Texans down 7-6 at the time after a missed PAT.

Buffalo wide receiver and special teams ace Marcus Easley also had himself an interesting game. Finding himself on defense for the final plays to prevent a long touchdown, Easley intercepted quarterback Brian Hoyer in the end zone for a touchback and sealing the game for the Bills.

The Kansas City Chiefs beat the Oakland Raiders 34-20 in a back and forth contest. Chiefs’ cornerback Tyvon Branch helped close the door on the Raiders for good with an interception returned for a touchdown. Down one score, the Raiders were on the third play of a drive with 3:14 remaining in the fourth quarter when Branch picked off Derek Carr and returned it 38 yards for the touchdown. It would put the Chiefs up 14 and be the final scoring play of the game. Branch also added four tackles.

In the San Diego Chargers 17-3 defeat to the Denver Broncos, Chargers running back Donald Brown some of his first meaningful carries of the season. Cut earlier in the year by the Chargers, Brown put up a solid seven-carry, 26-yard performance in a backup role to rookie Melvin Gordon. The only other Husky running back in the NFL, Jordan Todman of the Pittsburgh Steelers, was surprisingly ruled inactive as they blew out the Indianapolis Colts 45-10.

Matt Baresi is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.baresi@uconn.edu