UConn awards New Haven Promise Students with $5,000 scholarship

The 2015 New Haven Promise program scholars stand before the statue of Jonathan the husky on UConn's campus. (Screenshot/NewHavenPromise.org)

Prospective University of Connecticut students from the New Haven Promise program will acquire a yearly $5,000 scholarship to help maintain college affordability. UConn President Susan Herbst revealed that each program participant planning to study at UConn would start receiving the scholarship money for fall 2016.

The UConn Foundation developed a fund to benefit the New Haven Promise partnership, allowing for donors to supply funds to individual Promise program students. The New Haven Promise program helps alleviate pressures that New Haven students face, such as being a first-generation student or living within a household with an income of less than $60,000.

New Haven Promise program awards scholarships to public and charter school students who maintain good grades, volunteer within the city and enroll in UConn. The yearly $5,000 scholarship will be awarded additionally to the Promise program’s scholarship. Yale University president Peter Salovey, Mayor Toni Harp and superintendent of schools Garth Harries were among the audience when Herbst announced the scholarship at New Haven’s Cooperative Arts and Humanities High School.

“The New Haven Promise program started in 2010, and students have been coming to UConn as participants in it ever since,” UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said. “Yale provides funding to help New Haven Promise with the tuition assistance it provides to students, while the $5,000 additional annual aid announced recently is coming directly from UConn to aid UConn enrollees.”

Since the start of the program, close to 1,000 New Haven public school graduates met the program’s requirements, which includes 132 graduates who are currently studying at UConn, Reitz said. Through the New-Haven Promise-Yale Community Hiring Initiative program, 22 UConn students enriched their learning experiences with a paid summer internship. A total of 14 promise scholars graduated from UConn in spring 2015, followed by 20 expecting to graduate this year.

Richard Monroy is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at richard.monroy@uconn.edu.