EPA grants millions to state for water infrastructure improvement

The EPA gave $26 million to Connecticut for the upgrade of water systems, infrastructure and sewage plants. (Courtesy/Wikipedia)

The state of Connecticut received $26 million from the Environmental Protection Agency for water infrastructure upgrades earlier this month, according to an EPA press release.

Most funds will be allocated toward the upgrade of drinking water systems, and the replacement infrastructure and sewage plants. The funding is possible through the Clean Water State Revolving Fund (CWSRF) and the Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (DWSRF), according to the release.

The CWSRF was created in 1987 to provide loans to make improvements to wastewater treatment systems, protect bodies of water and to control pollution caused by water run-off, this program was given $17.1 million for these improvements, according to the EPA website.  

The DWSRF is run by the Connecticut Department of Public Health and the Connecticut Department of Health. This program provides financial aid to help water systems and states to achieve objectives set by the he DWSRF is a financial assistance program to help water systems and states to achieve the health protection objectives of the Safe Drinking Water Act of 1974. 

“This funding will pay for projects that improve water quality and protect drinking water across Connecticut, and will provide benefits for decades to come,” Regional Administrator for the EPA’s New England office Curt Spalding said in the release. “Clean drinking water and proper wastewater treatment are fundamental to protecting people’s health, but aging water infrastructure needs to be upgraded and repaired. EPA’s funding will help continue Connecticut’s program to invest in drinking water and wastewater systems and protect people’s health.” 

The DEEP Commissioner Robert Klee has shown his appreciation towards the $26 million provided by the EPA.

“Connecticut has made a tremendous commitment to improving the quality of our waters by making certain wastewater treatment plants in this state are upgraded and modernized to meet the highest standards and through improved management of storm water runoff,” Klee said in the release. “This has required a major financial investment and the federal funds available to support us – coupled with extensive state funding – help move us forward toward achieving important water quality goals.”

Commissioner for the Connecticut Department of Public Health Dr. Jewel Mullen said that since the creation of the DWRSF in 1996, the Department of Public Health has provided over $214 million in loans to community water systems for improvements to water treatment plants, according to the release.

Annabelle Orlando is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at annabelle.orlando@uconn.edu.