UConn visual identity program works to eliminate name confusion

A UConn wordmark logo is seen being printed by a 3-D printer at the Homder D. Babbidge Library in Storrs, Connecticut on Tuesday, Nov. 3, 2015. (Allen Lang/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut’s visual identity program has been working to promote and distinguish the proper use of the university’s brand and wordmark in order to achieve consistency in visual identity since April 2013.

In writing, UConn is used as the abbreviation for the University of Connecticut. UCONN, in all capital letters, is reserved for the logo treatment and is called a wordmark, according to university spokesperson, Stephanie Reitz.

The specialized use of each format of the word, however, continues to be confused among some media and even staff at the university.

“I think the assumption is just that you spell UConn as all caps, but it’s not an acronym,” said Kyle Muncy, associate director of athletics and trademark licensing and branding.

Some newspapers in the United States have printed UConn as, U-conn or U.Conn., Muncy said.

“We have reached out to the Associated Press, we’ve passed word along to our local reporters, you do the best you can but unfortunately, people are just seeing it in so many different places and potentially in so many different ways,” Muncy said.

UConn in all capital letters is a graphic identity of the university, Muncy said. It’s used for Athletic teams, schools, colleges and campuses, centers and institutes and other departments and academic programs according to UConn’s brand website.

“The idea of having that wordmark is to have a visual impact and be immediately recognizable to others, whether it’s on a mug at a store or spotted on a stranger’s shirt in an airport,” Reitz said.

While UConn in all capital letters serves as the brand upon athletic jerseys and the university campus’ welcome sign, UConn in all capital letters should not be used in writing.

The priority is to develop and maintain some level of consistency in the proper usage of UConn’s logos, Muncy said.

“There are plenty of other schools that make specific reference to how they wish to be referenced, whether its UCLA or UMass,” Muncy said.

UConn is no different in that it aims to maintain a consistent identity academically and athletically.

“Our image and reputation need to be an accurate reflection of our attributes both academically and athletically,” President Herbst wrote in April 2013 when the University began the logo change. “This is true with every university – especially those great institutions which are our peers – as well as those we still aspire to rival.”

The shift in logo design took place only two and a half years ago, so many people are still relatively new to the distinctions, especially if they are not dealing with them day-to-day, Muncy said.

“At the end of the day, it’s not the end of the world. We’re just doing the best we can to try to develop some level of consistency as best we can.”

Brenna Kelly is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at brenna.kelly@uconn.edu.