Women's Basketball: Huskies, Stewart travel to upstate New York

UConn women's basketball forward Breanna Stewart takes a shot during the Huskies' game against Notre Dame at Gampel Pavilion in Storrs, Connecticut on Saturday, Dec. 5, 2015. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The No. 1 UConn women’s basketball team (6-0) will travel to upstate New York to take on Colgate (1-4) on Wednesday in a non-conference matchup.

The game will also serve as a homecoming of sorts for UConn senior forward Breanna Stewart. When the game tips off at Wesley M. Cottrell Court in Hamilton, New York, it will be the closest that Stewart, a North Syracuse native, will get to play to her home.

Colgate will have their hands full dealing with Stewart who has done it all for the Huskies this season. Stewart is coming off a 28 point performance in UConn’s 91-81 victory over Notre Dame on Saturday. Stewart has been virtually unstoppable in the season’s first six games, averaging a team high 24.2 points per game while shooting 62 percent from the field. She also leads the team in rebounds, grabbing 8.8 per game, and blocks with three per game.

Aside from Stewart, the entire Huskies team has been extremely efficient this season. UConn is averaging 90.2 points per game, the second most in the country, while shooting a nation best 53.7 percent as a team.

Conversely, Colgate has struggled on the offensive end this season. They are averaging 64 points per game, and have been outscored this season by an average of 12.8 points per game. Colgate will have to score at a much higher pace if they want to hang around in the game.

Colgate is led offensively by senior forward Josie Stockhill who is averaging 14.7 points per game while shooting 54 percent from the field.

If the UConn defense has any weak spots it would be defending the three point shot. They have been torched by opponents in back to back games from behind the arc giving up 13 made three-pointers in back to back games.

Colgate has struggled from behind the line however this year, shooting just 25 percent per game and making an average of 5.2 attempts per game.

UConn is 4-0 all-time against Colgate. They last met in 2012 at the XL Center where the Huskies won 101-41.

The game will be played at 7 p.m. and can be seen on SNY.

Spencer Mayfield is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at spencer.mayfield@uconn.edu. He tweets @SpenceMayfield.