Women's Basketball: Huskies cruise to 86-46 road victory over Memphis

Connecticut's Morgan Tuck (3) brings the ball down court in the first half of an NCAA college basketball game against University of Memphis, Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2016, in Memphis, Tenn. (AP Photo/Karen Pulfer Focht)

The No. 1 UConn Huskies (15-0, 5-0) defeated the Memphis Tigers (9-8, 3-3) 86-46 in an American Athletic Conference game that they dominated from start to finish.

UConn senior guard Moriah Jefferson led all scorers with 21 points while only missing one field goal attempt in the game.

After playing their closest conference game since joining the American, a 16-point victory over South Florida on Sunday, the Huskies returned to their habit of blowout victories.

UConn set the tone in the first quarter by jumping out to an early 11-4 lead after five minutes of play. The Huskies went on a 13-0 run in the first quarter that really opened up the game early. Jefferson had 10 first quarter points that helped the Huskies get going. UConn also held Memphis to just three made field goal attempts in the first quarter. Memphis also turned the ball over seven times in the quarter.

The Huskies continued to play great defensively in the second quarter. Memphis ended the half on a 0-for-10 shooting stretch from the field. UConn held a comfortable 46-18 lead at the half.

The comfortable lead allowed UConn head coach Geno Auriemma to give the bench extended playing time.

Freshman guard Katie Lou Samuelson had perhaps her best all-around game as a Husky. In 23 minutes off the bench Samuelson recorded 11 points, five assists, three rebounds and two steals. Samuelson even started the second half, perhaps a reward for her efforts to be more than just a three-point shooter.

The second half minutes are also important for center Natalie Butler. Butler who played 14 of her 18 minutes in the second half, finished with four points and six rebounds. Any playing time Butler can get is important, as this was just her fifth game this season due to injury.

With the victory UConn extended their winning streak to 52 games. The Huskies will be in action again when they host Temple on Saturday.

Spencer Mayfield is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering women's basketball. He can be reached via email at spencer.mayfield@uconn.edu. He tweets @SpenceMayfield