Football: Quarterback Tim Boyle set to transfer from UConn

UConn quarterback coach Wayne Lineburg talks with quarterback Tim Boyle during a practice on Wednesday, Aug. 12, 2015, in Storrs, Conn. (Jessica Hill/AP)

Junior quarterback Tim Boyle is transferring to Eastern Kentucky, he announced on his Twitter account Monday afternoon.

The news that Boyle was transferring from UConn broke on Saturday morning by Marc Robbins of WFSB.

“I am officially an EKU Colonel! I am excited to be a part of a tradition rich program under a great head coach in Coach Elder,” Boyle said on Twitter. “I want to thank all the people who supported me while going through this process. And a specific thank you to all Husky fans who supported me and wished me the best on my future endeavors. UConn will always have a special place in my heart and I want to thank them for giving me the opportunity to play. I wish nothing but the best to Coach Diaco and the team. I am very excited to start the next chapter in my life!”

Boyle will be eligible to play right away because he is transferring to a school in the Football Championship Subdivision (FCS). He has one year of eligibility left. Boyle told the Hartford Courant Monday that he was on campus and would be starting classes at Eastern Kentucky on Tuesday.

Boyle originally committed to Boston College, but decided to attend UConn instead.

During his freshman season in 2013 under head coach T.J. Weist (coach Paul Pasqualoni was fired after starting the season 0-4), Boyle started four games, playing in five games total. Boyle completed 59 of 133 passes for 621 yards.

In 2014, he appeared in nine games at quarterback, starting in the final three. He finished the year 43 of 82 for 335 yards and one touchdown. The touchdown pass, the only touchdown pass of his career, was a 39-yard pass to Arkeel Newsome against Memphis on Nov. 29.

Boyle saw limited action during the 2015 season, but he will most be remembered for leading UConn past No. 13 Houston to get the Huskies to a bowl game for the first time since the 2010 season.

Boyle took over for Bryant Shirreffs after Shirreffs left the game with in the first quarter after suffering a hit to the head. Boyle came in and finished the game 12 of 22 for 110 yards.

This story was updated on Jan. 18 to include Boyle's statement and to clarify questions of his eligibility. 

Dan Madigan is associate sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @dmad1433.