Review: 'Suits: A Business RPG' is $0.60 well spent

“Value” is arguably more important for gamers than any other kind of consumer in regard to what to buy. A $120 deluxe package for a game might carry a little more content than the $60 version, but gamers are always on the lookout for that five dollar masterpiece. With that being said, I bought “Suits: A Business RPG” for sixty cents. 

“Suits” is a game that looks and feels like it was made in a basement in the ‘90s, and that starts with the art style. Everything, from the environments to the weapons, is hand drawn, practically scribbled. This unusual art style may be a turn-off for many gamers, but eventually I got used to it and even liked the way that it depicted certain places and people. 

The world of “Suits” is a bleak one. The entire world is dominated by corporations, run by an oligarchical group of CEOs who have perverted everything from justice. Innocence and guilt are a matter of payment. The entertainment industry seems to be one band, one television show and just one website for people to browse. The opening summarizes the morals of this world with the line, “Business or bust,” and then drops the player character into his final exam in business school. 

The music in this game is fantastic and really stands out. It perfectly conveys the oppressive nature of the world and is surprisingly polished compared to the art style. The writing, however, is what carries this game. This corrupt, oppressive corporate world is rife with funny dialogue and memorable moments. Even the brutal execution of the rest of your graduating class is played in a way that’s light and funny while establishing how twisted and evil the world of “Suits” really is.

Combat is handled through a turn-based system that we’ve seen in dozens of games before. It’s also probably the weakest part of the game, as the difficulty spikes after the first level. You go from fighting possessed coffee mugs and ties to squads of armed guards without any warning, and if you haven’t ground out every bit of experience and bought the best armor by that point, you may as well give up and start over. 

While we’re on the combat, it’s extremely difficult to gauge how difficult an encounter will be, and you aren’t allowed to flee a fight after you’ve used your first attack. One enemy, which I initially thought to be a joke, turned out to possess an insta-kill ability that quickly sent me whirling back to the last checkpoint.

The “Undercity” level is the absolute worst when it comes to analyzing threats, because the trained assassins that the CEOs send after you are swiftly defeated, but the local hobos and loan sharks will likely require several attempts to defeat. 

But every time the combat made me want to quit, there would be a fantastic bit of writing that made me want to push on just to see what wacky situations the game could come up with.

Towards the end of the game, however, there are a string of boss fights that feel less like tests of skill or a real challenge and more like battles of attrition. If you aren’t carrying around a suitcase full of healing sandwiches you might as well give up. Again, the best parts of “Suits” are off the beaten path, and the game encourages exploration at every turn. 

For all its flaws, I enjoyed “Suits.” I laughed at the writing and explored an interesting world, and all it cost me was pocket change. In fact, “Suits” is the best $.60 I’ve ever spent, and at that price point I would definitely recommend “Suits: a Business RPG.”

Edward Pankowski is life editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at edward.pankowski@uconn.edu.