Women's Basketball: Morgan Tuck sidelined for 2 weeks with knee pain

Connecticut's Morgan Tuck, right, and University of Memphis' Ariel Hearn both go for a lost ball in the first half of an NCAA college basketball game, Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2016, in Memphis, Tenn. (Karen Pulfer Focht/AP)

Star UConn women’s basketball forward Morgan Tuck will be sidelined for two weeks with recurring pain in her right knee, according to head coach Geno Auriemma.

“It looks like after today it’s going to be two weeks,” Auriemma said of Tuck’s injury. “We talked about and said let’s give it two weeks and see how it goes."

Tuck’s will mark the second time the Boilingbrook, Illinois native has missed a game this season after sitting out the Huskies’ 76-37 win over Houston on Jan. 8. Other than missing the Houston game, Tuck has played in 15 games this season, averaging 14.9 points and 5.9 rebounds per game.

UConn will play four American Athletic Conference games over the next two weeks. Barring any setbacks, Tuck will likely return for the Huskies’ Feb. 6 matchup against East Carolina at Gampel Pavilion, and should be good to go for their highly-anticipated game against No. 2 South Carolina on Feb. 8.

“It’s frustrating but I think this is a good time to be out for two weeks, so I’m glad it was now and not later in the season,” Tuck said. “Two weeks from now is still a week before the South Carolina, so I definitely didn’t want to miss that one so I’ll still be able to play in a game before that and then that game.”

With Tuck unavailable, Auriemma said Gabby Williams will return to the starting lineup to fill Tuck’s spot.

Dan Madigan is the associate sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @DMad1433