Women's Basketball: Huskies lance Knights, 106-51

Breanna Stewart goes up for a shot during UConn's 106-51 victory over UCF at the XL Center on Jan. 20, 2016. The senior scored a game high 21 points. (Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus)

Six Huskies scored in double figures for No. 1 UConn in a 106-51 win over UCF in Hartford Wednesday night.

With the win, the Huskies extended their winning streak to 54 games.

You always want to make sure that you don’t have to depend on one or two people all the time. Everybody that played did something well.”
— Geno Auriemma

Breanna Stewart led all scorers with 21 points while shooting an efficient 8-for-11 from the field. Stewart also added five rebounds and four assists.

Gabby Williams scored a career-high 19 points and grabbed seven rebounds after she was reinserted into the starting lineup for the injured Morgan Tuck.

The dominating victory was reassuring for the Huskies with several players needing to step up and fill the void left by Tuck.

“We definitely made it a point of emphasis,” Williams said. “Even in practice you notice when Morgan is gone because she does everything. We needed something from everybody tonight without her and I think we got that.

Zykira Lewis was the leading scorer for UCF with 20 points.

The Huskies took control of the game in the first quarter when they made their run. UConn went on a 17-0 run to end the first quarter with a 32-9 lead. Stewart and Williams each had nine points in the first quarter.

UConn continued the run in the second quarter as Stewart scored six more points and Napheesa Collier added a layup to go up 40-9. The 25-0 run was finally broken by a jump shot from Lewis.

At the half, the Huskies held a 52-15 lead, dominating the game on the defensive end. UCF had 19 first half turnovers, off which UConn scored 18 points. The Huskies also had 40 points in the paint in the first half.

The UConn defense remained in control for the rest of the game, as UCF finished the night with 31 turnovers. Williams, who had three steals, was glad to see the hard work the Huskies have been putting into the defensive end in practice paying off in a game.

“I was really happy mostly because these last few practices have been really tough, Williams said. “Today was rewarding because everything from practice transferred over.”

In the second half UConn cruised to the 55-point victory that will only improve their scoring margin, already best in the NCAA. The Huskies entered the game outscoring opponents by an average of 37.3 points per game. UConn head coach Geno Auriemma was pleased with the team-wide contributions.

“You always want to make sure that you don’t have to depend on one or two people all the time,” Auriemma said. “Everybody that played did something well.”

Katie Lou Samuelson notched a career-high seven assists to go along with a 10-point, five-rebound effort for the Huskies.

Transfer center Natalie Butler had her best game as member of the Huskies. Butler finished with 20 points while also grabbing six rebounds.

Collier also had a great game off the bench for the Huskies, finishing with 14 points and seven rebounds. Moriah Jefferson also reached double figures in scoring with her 10-point effort.

With the victory UConn is now 4-0 all-time against UCF.

Spencer Mayfield is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering women's basketball. He can be reached via email at spencer.mayfield@uconn.edu