If I had a billion dollars

A focus shift combined with a slow camera shutter creates a blur of a sign advertising the jackpot for the Powerballlottery in downtown Dallas, Wednesday, Jan. 13, 2016. The Powerball jackpot for Wednesday night's drawing is at least $1.5 billion, the largest lottery jackpot in the world. (AP Photo/LM Otero)

Despite the drawing of multiple winning Powerball tickets a week ago, writers from the Life section discussed what they would do if they had been the big winners. 

Anokh Palakurthi Staff Writer

There’s a lot of things that people say they’re going to do if they won the lottery. But I’m not here to tell you what I would do. I’m here to tell you what everyone should do.

Keep your spendings a secret. Don’t tell a single person about the money that you have in the bank. Stick with your daily routines, like living your life per usual, but with an added privilege of that money acting as financial security to get you out of tough situations and not to buy you luxury. In a case where you’re forced to go public, hire the best damn team of attorneys, financial advisers, etc. to decide what you should do. If you don’t spend that money or understand what its value is, you need to learn or risk losing all of it almost as quickly as you got the money. 

Matthew Gilbert Campus Correspondent

If I won the lottery, I think the first thing I would do is pay off all my student loans. It would feel absolutely fantastic and then I would still have plenty of money afterwards.  After that I would definitely help my parents out and do the best I can to set them up for a smooth path to retirement.  I’d pay their mortgage off for starters. Once that is all squared away and I feel like a good son, I’m buying every sports car I have ever wanted.  A 1968 Ford Mustang fastback and a 1976 Chevrolet Camaro would be the first two.

Helen Stec Staff Writer

If I won the lottery, the first thing I would do is take a tour of Europe. I’ve never even left the East Coast of the United States before; so traveling would be my number one priority. I’d make sure to stop by France, Spain, Norway, Sweden, Germany and as many other countries as I possibly could. I’d maybe even visit Southeast Asia if I had the time. Once I finished my traveling, I would probably do something boring and responsible with my money, like invest it. Until my next trip, probably to South America.

Tyler Keating Staff Writer

My original plan was to use the Powerball money to purchase an NBA team. Then I remembered that the Milwaukee Bucks sold for $550 million just twenty-one months ago, and that dream flew out the window. A few courtside tickets in Brooklyn will do.

The revised plan: buy the nice house, buy the nice car, share the money and then get weird. I would ask Drake if I could buy a verse. I’d build a small rollercoaster in my backyard. I’d commission my own movie. This probably isn’t the best strategy to avoid media attention, but when you win the lottery things change.

Anokh Palakurthi is the associate Life editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at anokh.palakurthi@uconn.edu.

Matthew Gilbert is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.gilbert@uconn.edu.

Helen Stec is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at helen.stec@uconn.edu.

Tyler Keating is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at tyler.keating@uconn.edu.