Column: Spurs stuck in silence

San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, right, talks to guard Tony Parker, of France, during the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Cleveland Cavaliers, Thursday, Jan. 14, 2016, in San Antonio. San Antonio won 99-95. (AP Photo/Darren Abate)

The Golden State Warriors (38-4) are the most publicized NBA team since the 2010 Miami Heat; and they deserve every bit of press. However, the Warriors are not in a league of their own, despite what the media may believe. The San Antonio Spurs (36-6) trail the Warriors by only two games in the loss column. This is not a big surprise. Gregg Popovich’s Spurs have made a living on being an overlooked franchise.

The most obvious explanation of the lack of press concerning San Antonio’s success would be the fact the Spurs play in a small market. However this argument does not hold true to the Oklahoma City Thunder. The reason being that the Thunder have two of the leagues flashiest players in Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook. Flash equals money and money equals press. 

It is a shame that the Spurs do not receive the publicity that they so rightfully deserve. They have only lost six games. I repeat, they have only lost six games. People do not realize that San Antonio also has a chance to break the Bulls’ 72-10 record.

The Spurs are just as hot as the Warriors. They are currently riding a 10-game winning streak. They also have not lost a home game all season. They are a perfect 24-0. The Spurs do have two more losses than Golden State, however three of their six losses came in the first 10 games of the season. They needed time to adjust their All-Star summer acquisition, LaMarcus Aldridge, into the lineup.

Another reason the Spurs deserve more credit is due to their consistency of high-level play that corresponds with the consistency of media criticism over the years. The media has been proclaiming the Spurs dead since 2010. Every year they say the Spurs are too old. The Spurs have been proving them wrong every single year. They have been the most consistent team in sports along with the New England Patriots for over a decade. The Warriors are good, but will they be this good in 15 years, like the Spurs?

The Spurs obviously are confident in their game and they do not care what other people have to say. So does that mean they will defeat the Warriors in a potential Western Conference Finals meeting? I believe they certainly have a shot. The reason is due to their selflessness and their defensive prowess. The Spurs only allow a league best 89.6 points per game. They have, statistically, the best defense in the NBA. They are perhaps the only team that can slow down the fast paced transition offense of the Warriors. If the game slows down, like most postseason games do, San Antonio will have a clear advantage.

Also, the Spurs are very selfless team. They have about six players that are capable for exploding for 25 points on any given night. This is because they distribute the ball extremely well. They average over 25 assists per game, the third best mark in the league.

A potential Western Conference Finals matchup between the Warriors and the Spurs would mostly likely come down to a Game 7, which means that home court is everything. That means that both teams will have their foot on the gas pedal during the second half of the season. So, even better basketball awaits. 

Eddie Leonard is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at edward.leonard@uconn.edu