Women's Basketball: Huskies look to stay strong on the road against SMU

UConn sophomore guard Kia Nurse goes up for a layup during the Huskies' game against UCF at the XL Center in Hartford, Connecticut on Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2016. (Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus)

The No. 1 UConn Huskies (17-0) will look to stay sharp when they hit the road to take on the SMU Mustangs (8-9) in an American Athletic Conference matchup. 

The Huskies will be looking to extend their 54-game winning streak and remain unbeaten all-time in the American.

UConn is coming off a strong performance against UCF where the Huskies won 106-51 at the XL Center. The Huskies had six players reach double figures in the game and are receiving contributions from seemingly the entire team.

SMU has found itself in the middle of the pack this season in the American. With a conference record of 3-3, SMU is coming off of a 54-42 home loss to Tulane.

McKenzie Adams leads SMU offensively. Adams is averaging a team-high 14.1 points per game, but has struggled this season to find efficient offense as she is shooting just 32 percent from the field.

Against a UConn team that is tops in the conference at holding opponents to a low shooting percentage, Adams will need to be efficient to give SMU a chance to stay in the game. As a team, SMU is shooting just 37 percent from the field and they are averaging 61.9 points per game.

Alicia Froling is another go-to player for SMU on the offensive end. Froling is averaging 12.4 points per game while shooting 48 percent from the field. Froling is also the team’s best rebounder, averaging 10.9 rebounds per game, Froling will have her hands full in the post dealing with UConn’s variety of forwards.

UConn forward Gabby Williams is coming off a career high 19-point effort and will look to build on that momentum after being reinserted into the starting lineup. Playing in place of the injured Morgan Tuck, Williams certainly took advantage of her playing time.

In addition to Williams, SMU will of course have to find a way to deal with Breanna Stewart, who is having another outstanding season. Stewart is averaging 19.6 points per game while shooting 59 percent from the field.

Keeping up with a UConn offense that is scoring 89.8 points per game this season will be no easy task for SMU.

The game will be played at 3 p.m. and can be seen on SNY.

Spencer Mayfield is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at spencer.mayfield@uconn.edu. He tweets @SpenceMayfield.