Women's Hockey: Huskies prepare for home-and-home against Northeastern

UConn junior defender Jessica Stott handles the puck during the Huskies' game against New Hampshire at the Freitas Ice Forum in Storrs, Connecticut on Sunday, Nov. 8, 2015. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn’s women’s hockey team will split a series with No. 6 Northeastern this weekend, travelling to Matthews Arena in Boston for a 7 p.m. game on Friday before returning to Storrs to host Northeastern on Saturday at 2 p.m. at the Freitas Ice Forum. 

UConn’s home game Saturday will be called the Skating for Strides game, and the Huskies will wear special pink jerseys to fundraise and raise awareness for breast cancer. In the 10 years Hockey East has held the Skating for Strides game, over $300,000 has been raised for breast cancer research.

The women’s hockey team, in partnership with the Zeta Beta Tau chapter at UConn will raise money for the Friends of Mel Foundation. Fans are encouraged to wear pink for support at Saturday’s game, and t-shirts for fundraising will be available to purchase at the rink. 

UConn is 2-1-2 since the start of the New Year, most recently defeating Providence 5-2 at home. Sophomore Theresa Knutson scored four points over the weekend, including her first career hat trick in Sunday’s victory, and the Huskies only goal in their tie against the Friars on Saturday.

The last matchup between UConn and Northeastern came on Jan. 5, as UConn suffered a 5-1 loss to Northeastern on the road. Overall, UConn has a 17-20-11 record against Northeastern all-time. Last season, the teams met on the ice a total of three times, resulting in two ties and a loss for UConn.

Northeastern boats a 20-4-1 record, with their lone loss credited to Boston College. Northeastern has won nine games in a row, with two victories from last weekend against Maine. They are 15-2 in Hockey East, while UConn is 5-6-3 in the conference.

Mary Burkhardt is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached at mary.burkhardt@uconn.edu.