Women's Basketball: Huskies make history in win over SMU

Connecticut forward Breanna Stewart (30) is congratulated by teammates as she comes out of the game during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game against SMU Saturday, Jan. 23, 2016, in Dallas. UConn won 90-37. (LM Otero/AP)

The last time the UConn women’s basketball team took on SMU at Moody Coliseum, the Mustangs struggled mightily, scoring just nine points up until 7:41 left to play en route to an 87-28 loss.

This time around, SMU had some more success offensively, reaching double figures early in the second quarter, but the result was the same as the Huskies won 90-37 in a game filled with milestones.

UConn’s victory marked its 55th consecutive win, passing Louisiana Tech’s 54-game win streak from 1980-82. The Huskies now have the three longest winning streaks in the history of Division I women’s college basketball, with streaks of 90 and 70 wins to go along with their current win streak.

The Huskies (18-0, 8-0 the American) got ahead from the get go, rattling off a 9-0 run after trading baskets in the first minute to go up 11-2. UConn would outscore SMU 13-4 over the final 5:34 of the quarter to finish with a 24-6 lead.

Moriah Jefferson recorded three steals in the opening quarter for UConn to pass the 300-career steal mark. Jefferson is just the third player in UConn history with 500 assists and 300 steals, joining Jen Rizzotti and Maya Moore. Jefferson would finish the day leading all scorers with 19 points with six assists and two rebounds in her final game in her home state of Texas.

SMU put together their best quarter of the night in a high-octane second quarter, with Alicia Froling scoring eight of the Mustangs’ 14 points. Froling would finish the night with 12 points, joining teammate McKenzie Adams (13 points) in double figures. Even with Froling’s offensive outburst, SMU couldn’t keep up with the Huskies, who scored 28 points and took a 52-20 lead into halftime.

UConn continued its hot start in the second half, opening the third quarter with a 15-0 run that was snapped with a three-pointer from Adams with 3:29 left.  The third quarter also marked the end of the day for Breanna Stewart, who tallied 15 points, 12 rebounds, nine blocks and seven assists, falling a rebound short of her first-career triple-double.

Katie Lou Samuelson, Gabby Williams and Saniya Chong joined Jefferson and Stewart in double figures. Samuelson added 13 points on 5-12 shooting from the field, while Williams and Chong each poured in 10 points.

With Stewart out for the fourth quarter, the Huskies continued to outplay SMU on both ends of the floor. The Huskies finished the game on a 10-0 run and held the Mustangs scoreless for the final 3:56.  UConn’s 53-point victory marked the third straight 50-point win for the team this season.

Dan Madigan is associate sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @dmad1433.