Quick Hits: From Cliff Robinson's new venture to UConn vs. Georgetown

Connecticut guard Moriah Jefferson, center, drives between SMU guards Morgan Bolton (12) and Kamray Mickens (24) during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game Saturday, Jan. 23, 2016, in Dallas. UConn won 90-37. (LM Otero/AP)

It was a big week for UConn sports, highlighted by a throwback matchup with Georgetown on Saturday. The women’s basketball team also continued their historical dominance down in Dallas.

On top of all the game action, men’s hoops got a commitment from a four-star future Husky, while one former star announced the beginning of a new business venture and another’s came crashing down.

Former UConn basketball star opening marijuana business

Cliff Robinson, who starred for the Huskies from 1985-1989, announced this week that he is starting a marijuana business in Portland Oregon, where he played professionally for eight seasons.

Robinson’s operation will go by the name “Uncle Spliffy,” a spin-off of his “Uncle Cliffy” nickname from his playing days. ESPN’s Dana O’Neil explained Robinson’s marijuana advocacy and business plan in an article earlier this week.

UConn gives fans taste of old Big East with Georgetown win

There was an old-school vibe at the XL Center on Saturday. UConn and Georgetown met for the first time since the restructuring of the Big East three years ago. The Huskies beat the Hoyas 68-62 and improved to 14-5 on the season, despite a tough second half offensively.

Huskies make history in blowout win at SMU

Breanna Stewart came within one rebound of her first triple-double, and even flirted with a quadruple double, as UConn defeated SMU 87-28. It was also a homecoming for Moriah Jefferson, who led the Huskies with 19 points.

The dominant performance extended UConn’s winning streak to 55 games, giving them the three longest winning streaks in D-I women’s college basketball history. The team even got to spend some time with Kevin Durant at the Thunder vs. Mavs game on Friday.

Class of 2017 center Zach Brown commits to UConn

Kevin Ollie continues to get it done on the recruiting trail. This week he received a commitment from 7-foot center Zach Brown of Miami High. Brown is considered a top-25 recruit in the 2017 class. The Hartford Courant broke down the latest prized recruit for the Huskies.

Tate George sentenced to maximum of nine years in prison

Former UConn basketball star Tate George was sentenced to a maximum of nine years in prison this week for operating a real estate Ponzi scheme that affected many current and former professional athletes, including Dallas Mavericks forward Charlie Villanueva. The Hartford Courant broke down all of George’s illegal activity and details of the trial.

Aaron Esposito is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at aaron.esposito@uconn.edu.