Basketball: Where are UConn transfers playing now?

Over the past couple years there have been various men’s and women’s basketball players that decided UConn wasn’t the best place for them and transferred, in hopes of finding a better situation athletically or academically.

Most of these transfers are in the midst of a waiting game, as the NCAA requires them to sit out one season after they transfer. However, some former Huskies are receiving minutes for their new schools two seasons after transferring. 

Everyone who watched the National Championship run in 2014 remembers backup guard Terrence Samuel. While he wasn’t going to light it up with his jump shot, Samuel made his impact on the defensive end. He played sporadic minutes throughout his freshman season, but peaked at the right time and served as a spark plug in the NCAA tournament.

Double-digit scoring performances against Villanova and Iowa State highlighted his UConn career. Unfortunately for Samuel, he struggled to develop a reliable jump shot and never saw a boost in minutes. After his sophomore season Samuel decided to transfer to Penn Statewhere he is currently sitting out as a transfer student, but could make the starting lineup next season as a junior. 

Samuel isn’t the only former Husky at Penn State. Brianna Banks transferred to Penn State after her junior season at UConn. De’Janae Boykin also recently transferred to the Nittany Lion’s program, before playing any games as a Husky.

Banks, now a redshirt senior, is averaging 13.9 points in 28.1 minutes per game. Boykin, a 6-foot-2 forward from Maryland, missed eight games with an Achilles injury this season before deciding to transfer closer to home. 

Connecticut native Sadie Edwards transferred early in her freshman season last year, similar to Boykin. Edwards made a move to the west coast and became a USC Trojan, where she is averaging nine points in 27 minutes per game. She was forced to sit out a handful of games as a transfer early in the season, but has earned a spot in the starting lineup and played much more than she ever did in her brief time at UConn. 

Leon Tolksdorf, a 6-foot-8 forward from Berlin, Germany, won a National Championship in 2014 as a sophomore, but decided to transfer after the season. Tolksdorf took his talents to American University, where he is now averaging 3.1 points and 2.4 rebounds per game in 13.3 minutes as a junior. 

Rakim Lubin only played 6.5 minutes per game for UConn last season and decided it was in his best interest to transfer after the season. The 6-foot-8 big man from Miami transferred to Cal State-Northridge, where he will likely see a boost in playing time as a sophomore in the 2016-2017 season. He is currently sitting out this season under the NCAA transfer rules.

Aaron Esposito is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at aaron.esposito@uconn.edu.