Women's Basketball: Huskies venture west to take on Tulsa

Forward Breanna Stewart checks out the defense during UConn's 95-35 victory. Stewart was recently named a finalist for a spot on Team USA in the 2016 Olympics. (Ashley Maher/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s basketball team looks to continue their domination of American Athletic Conference opponents with another trip out west to take on Tulsa Wednesday night at the Reynolds Center.

The Huskies (18-0, 8-0 the American) head to Tulsa just days after a 90-37 romping of SMU on the road. The win marked the fourth straight game UConn defeated an opponent by at least 40 points, and the sixth time they have done so in their last eight games. This season, the Huskies have defeated opponents by an average of 39.1 points per game.

Tulsa enters their matchup with UConn having dropped three of their last four games, including a 69-58 loss to Memphis on Jan. 23. The Huskies and the Golden Hurricane (7-13, 4-5 the American) first met this season on Jan. 6 at the XL Center, where UConn cruised to a 95-35 victory thanks to 18 points each from Saniya Chong and Morgan Tuck.

UConn will be without Tuck for the fourth time this season, and the third-straight game since head coach Geno Auriemma announced the Boilingbrook, Illinois native would be out for two weeks prior to the Huskies’ matchup with UCF on Jan. 20.

Without Tuck in the lineup, Gabby Williams has regained her spot in the starting five and filled in admirably, is averaging 14 points and seven rebounds per game over four games in Tuck’s absence, including a career-high 19 points in the Huskies’ 106-51 win against UCF.

Senior guard Ashley Clark leads Tulsa with 13.2 points and six rebounds per game, and led the Golden Hurricane with 10 points in their loss to UConn in their first matchup this season. Kelsee Grovey serves as Tulsa’s second best offensive weapon, averaging 10 points per game.

Another Husky will likely reach a milestone against the Golden Hurricane after Moriah Jefferson made history with her 300th career steal in the win against SMU.

Senior forward Breanna Stewart is just three rebounds away from being the sixth member of the Huskies’ 1,000 career rebounds club. The achievement would be yet another impressive accomplishment on her already crowded list of accolades, which includes scoring over 2,000 career points and becoming the only player in NCAA history with 300 blocks and 300 assists.

Stewart was also just named one of 25 finalists for the 2016 United States Olympic Women’s Basketball Team, which will train at Gampel Pavilion from Feb. 21-23. Stewart was the only collegiate player selected as a finalist under Auriemma, and joins five other UConn alumni, including Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore and Stefanie Dolson.

UConn’s matchup with Tulsa marks the fourth time the two schools will meet in a series that began in 2015. The Huskies averaged 95 points per game in their three victories over the Golden Hurricane. UConn’s game against Tulsa will tip-off at 8 p.m. eastern time and can be seen on SNY. 

Dan Madigan is the associate sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @DMad1433