Fulfilling college student dreams, Blaze promises free pizza at opening

Blaze Fast Fire'd Pizza is located at 12 Royce Circle, across the street from The Oaks on the Square apartment complex and the liquor store, Storrs Wine and Spirits. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

Blaze Fast Fire’d Pizza is set to open in Storrs Center on Jan. 28 and is offering free pizza to its social media followers in celebration.

The restaurant will give free “build-your-own” artisanal pizzas to any customer who follows Blaze Pizza on its social media outlets - Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook - on Jan. 29 from 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

“We’ve actually had a free pizza day in the past where we’ve given out 2,755 pizzas and we’d love to beat that on Friday,” media relations representative for Blaze Pizza Joshua Levitt said in a press release.

Blaze Pizza serves custom-built pizzas and other signature items like blood orange lemonade and s’more pies.

“Our mission at Blaze is really simple – we’re taking pizza back to its roots,” Jim Mizes, president & COO of Blaze Pizza, said in a press release.  “By making dough in-house, carefully sourcing ingredients, and cooking by fire, we’re giving guests a great way to enjoy artisanal pizza without the wait.  It’s changing the way people think about and eat pizza.” 

The restaurant’s location of 12 Royce Circle features a 2,700 square foot interior with a capacity of 55 persons and is located across the street from The Oaks on the Square apartment complex, which houses many UConn students.

Blaze Fast Fire’d Pizza is set to open in Storrs Center on Jan. 28 and is offering free pizza to its social media followers in celebration. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

“I plan on checking out Blaze Pizza. I always get excited to try new restaurants and they gave me a voucher for free pizza so now I have to try it,” said Oaks resident Emily Borner, sixth-semester, management information systems major. “I never really order Dominos so hopefully they have better pizza than them. Also Blaze Piazza will be a closer walk than Dominos or DP Dough so I’ll probably choose it over them.”

Some students are concerned with the new pizza place’s operating hours.

“Most of the times that I order pizza are during very stressed out points, like during finals week or midterms,” Justin Niezrecki, second semester, engineering major, said. “Chances are those are really the only times that I’ll order and there are other places that are open until 1-2am, so I might be inclined to order elsewhere depending on Blaze’s closing time.”

The company, which is backed by investors like LeBron James and Maria Shriver, features interactive open-kitchen formats at each of its locations allowing guests to customize one of the menu’s signature pizzas.

The personal pizzas cost approximately $8 and take around three minutes to craft, according to the press release. Blaze Pizza also provides gluten-free dough and vegan cheese for customers with specific dietary needs. The Storrs location will feature a selection of wine and craft beer.

This is the second Connecticut location for Blaze Pizza, which debuted in New Haven’s Jordan’s Furniture this past December. The company currently has 107 restaurants open for customers in 25 states and Canada, including the major metropolitan areas of Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Toronto, Dallas and Washington D.C.

Richard Monroy is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at richard.monroy@uconn.edu.