Men's Basketball: Scouting the Bearcats

Cincinnati head coach Mick Cronin, right, shouts instructions to his team during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game against Memphis, Thursday, Jan. 21, 2016, in Cincinnati. (AP Photo/Gary Landers)

For the first time this season, UConn will take on Cincinnati. This is a matchup that always seems to be a close game. The Huskies have won three straight games, while the Bearcats have won four of their last five, including a 22-point win over Tulane in its last game.

UConn leads the all-time series 12-6.

To get a better look at this year’s Cincinnati team, I talked with David Wysong from the Cincinnati student paper.

Here’s what he had to say:

Zampini: What is Cincinnati's biggest win of the season? 

WysongUnfortunately, we have been close to beating Butler, Iowa State and SMU and all of those would have been huge wins, but we lost all those games by one possession so it is hard to say which win is our biggest. I would say our best win was against VCU at home, who hardly anyone has beaten at home over the past few seasons, and they beat us last year. 

2. Who is Cincy's best player? 

I personally think our best player is point guard Troy Caupain. Some games he is not as aggressive as he should be and differs to his teammates, but when he is aggressive he is a very good scorer as he is a big guard who can get to the rim.

3. What is Cincy's biggest strength and weakness?

Our strength is our defense as we can force turnovers and bad shots pretty well, but that can go away at times due to our weakness which is playing the style of our opponent instead of playing our style of basketball. 

4. Who is a player that flies under the radar on this Cincy team?

A player that flies under the radar is forward Gary Clark. He averages 10 points and eight rebounds and I believe we would be a better team if we played through him as he is an above average passer and shoots 60 percent from the field. 

5. Who's been the hottest player as of late?

The hottest player lately is senior forward Shaq Thomas. He was on the AAC honor roll last week as in our two games against Memphis and Tulane he averaged 17.5 points and five rebounds on nearly 74 percent shooting. 

6. What went so well for the Bearcats in the Tulane game?

What went so well against Tulane is that we played our style of basketball. Our ball movement was magnificent and we forced turnovers on the defensive side. That game showed how good we can be when we are on top of our game. 

7. Prediction for the game? 

I think this game will be close and competitive, as nearly every matchup between the two teams is. I think the Bearcats are finally on track and will win by one possession but I would not be surprised if UConn pulls it out. 

Matt Zampini is the sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering men's basketball. He can be reached via email at matthew.zampini@uconn.edu. He tweets@Mattt_Zamp.