Preview: Student group Poetic Release gears up for 2016 Grand Slam

In this 2015 file photo of last year's Grand Slam, a student recites her poetry for a spot in the final competition. This year, that competition, the College Unions Poetry Slam Invitational, will be held in Austin, Texas. (Daily Campus/File Photo)

The best writers and lyricists of Poetic Release, a student poetry group, will show off their most powerful personal works at the 2016 Grand Slam Thursday evening from 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m in the Student Union Ballroom. The top four finalists will go on to strut their stuff at the College Unions Poetry Slam Invitational in Austin, Texas as representatives of the University of Connecticut.

Poetic Release’s Thursday event will feature Muggs Fogarty, a genderqueer poet from Providence, Rhode Island known for their work with the youth advocacy group New Urban Arts and the Providence National Youth Slam Team. Their published work is available in FreeRay, Wicked Banshee and Bluestocking Magazine.

A video with over 1,400 views on the UConn Poetic Release YouTube page called "Poetic Release Presents: UCONN Cypher Mala Jones, Mike Gherard, AE The Illusive." (UConnPoeticRelease/YouTube)

UConn poets with a least three original pieces of work can still qualify to compete. Just sign up at the slam and you may be randomly selected to participate.

Kimberly Armstrong is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kimberly.armstrong@uconn.edu.