Women's Basketball: Another 'won'

Connecticut forward Breanna Stewart (30) is congratulated by teammates as she comes out of the game during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game against SMU Saturday, Jan. 23, 2016, in Dallas. UConn won 90-37. (AP Photo/LM Otero)

The legend of Breanna Stewart continued Wednesday night as she surpassed 1,000 career rebounds in No. 1 UConn’s 94-30 win over Tulsa on the road.

Stewart had another great all-around game for the Huskies. She led all scorers with 24 points, grabbed 10 rebounds and had five assists and four blocks. Reaching yet another milestone, Stewart became the sixth UConn player of all-time to join the 1,000-rebound club.

The Huskies finished with four players in double figures as they extended their winning streak to 56 games.

Starting guards Moriah Jefferson and Katie Lou Samuelson each scored 14 points for the Huskies.

Tatyana Perez was the leading scorer for Tulsa with six points.

Like so many others, this game started with the Huskies as the clear aggressors. After falling behind 5-0 early, Tulsa’s Kelsee Grovey hit a three pointer to make it 5-3. From there UConn went on one of their classic runs to put the game away early. The Huskies ended the first quarter on a 22-0 run and held a 27-3 advantage after the first quarter.

UConn’s domination continued through the second quarter as the Huskies carried a 53-12 lead into the half. Tulsa struggled offensively as a unit in the first half. The off shooting night for Tulsa was contagious as no player for the Golden Hurricane made more than one field goal in the first half.

UConn made things difficult for Tulsa’s best offensive weapon Ashley Clark. Clark entered the game averaging 13.2 points per game, a team-high. The Huskies held her to just five points on 1-of-12 shooting from the field.

UConn’s defensive effort did not stop with shutting down Clark. Tulsa as a team finished shooting just 18 percent from the field. Tulsa also turned the ball over 21 times. What was perhaps the most impressive feat, Tulsa was held to single digit points in every quarter except the third, where they scored 12 points.

On the other hand, UConn shot 57 percent from the field, just above their season average of 52 percent shooting from the field. The Huskies also dominated the rebounding battle with their clear size advantage over Tulsa. The Huskies outrebounded Tulsa 49 to 29.

Freshman forward Napheesa Collier had a solid game off the bench for UConn. Collier finished with 12 points and eight rebounds.

The Huskies will return to action on Saturday when they host Memphis at the XL Center. 

Spencer Mayfield is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering women's basketball. He can be reached via email at spencer.mayfield@uconn.edu.