Chef Master Supreme: Back to my roots

The finished product. Check out the step by step process on making a delicious crepe. (Margaux Ancel/The Daily Campus)

This week, I am channeling my French roots and sharing with you my crepe recipe. While having a crepe pan is ideal, you can still show off your international culinary skills with a regular frying pan, although it may require a few practice crepes to successfully flip them. If you are fully dedicated, you can find crepe pans on amazon.com, at Walmart or Home Goods.

In true French fashion, I tend to change the measurements every time I make this recipe. Ultimately, the ideal batter should be relatively liquid, much more than pancake batter, but not to the point of running like water.

You will need:

-1.5 cup of flour

-1.5 cup of milk

-2 large eggs

-0.25 teaspoon of salt

-2.5 tablespoons of melted butter

Directions:

Beat the two eggs vigorously in a bowl with a whisk until it starts to froth along the edges of the bowl. Mix in flour, milk and salt. Add cooled melted butter. Continue stirring until the mixture is smooth. Let it rest for 15-20 minutes.

Heat up your pan on medium, grease well with oil spray. The most difficult part is laying out the batter evenly and thinly over the pan. I generally use a measuring cup for a quarter cup to apply the dough. 

Holding your pan over the heat, angle it slightly and drip the batter slowly over the bottom of the pan, while moving it in a circular motion to cover all remaining holes.

Let it cook for a few minutes over medium and detach the edges from the pan with a spatula.

Once the crepe no longer sticks to the pan, pass a flat spoon or spatula underneath it to check for a light golden color, then flip it over.

Bring the heat down to low and add some butter. Add the toppings of your choice.

With a spatula, fold one side of the crepe over your toppings, then fold the other side and press down to close. Let it cook for one to three more minutes and serve hot. It’s always easier to prepare some ingredients ahead of time to put inside the crepes.

Stay creative, almost anything can go in them. Here are some of my favorite combos:

Salty:

-Sliced turkey and cheese

-Chicken bits, cheese and marinara sauce (depicted in photo)

-Bruschetta and cheese

-Pesto and chicken

Sweet:

-Melted butter, cocoa powder and lemon curd

-Melted chocolate and caramel

-Fresh fruits, honey, melted butter

Enjoy!

Margaux Ancel is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at margaux.ancel@uconn.edu.