2 former UConn students charged in October arson case

In this photo, three cars that were on fire in front of a Carriage House apartment are pictured on Oct. 11, 2015. The silver Honda (middle) was originally set on fire, and the fire spread to the cars on the left and right. (Courtesy)

Two former University of Connecticut students were charged this week with an arson at Carriage House Townhomes last October that damaged three cars and part of an apartment, state police said.

Logan Rama, 20, of New Milford turned himself into police on Wednesday, police said. David Kuhn, 19, of Sherman was arrested Tuesday. Both men are charged with first-degree arson, first-degree criminal mischief, tampering with a motor vehicle, first-degree reckless endangerment and conspiracy to commit first-degree arson.

Kuhn posted his $500,000 bail after arraignment and is due in court on Jan. 29. Rama is currently in custody on bail of the same amount.

On Oct. 11 shortly after 5 a.m., guests sleeping in the living room of Carriage 5A awoke to find the door of the apartment on fire, Carriage resident Emily Roth told The Daily Campus in October. Outside, a silver Honda and the two cars parked next to it were on fire.

The warrant for Kuhn’s arrest said that investigation showed the fire to be an act of arson. 

The two men were involved in a fight at a Carriage party and then asked to leave, the warrant said.

“They [5A] were having a party, and these two kids were there,” Roth told Daily Campus reporter Sten Spinella in October. “They wouldn’t leave, and I guess there was an altercation. And they [the police] think it was those two kids.”

The warrant names Rama and Kuhn as the two men. Police spoke to the two the following day and reported smelling gasoline in their apartment. The two students also told police that it would not have been “a shame if something happened to this place.”

Kuhn told police that the pair drove to Cumberland Farms for a bucket of gasoline and returned to Carriage.  

The warrant said that Logan poured the gasoline over the cars and door of the apartment. Kuhn lit it.

Rama and Kuhn were UConn students at the time of the incident but are no longer enrolled or living in UConn housing, UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said. Both men left midway through the fall 2015 semester.

Due to federal privacy laws, Reitz said she was not able to discuss the specific reasons that the two left the university.

Christopher McDermott is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.mcdermott@uconn.edu.