Dear Fox News: It’s 2016, stop being racist

A Fox News banner hangs in Quincy Market in Boston, Massachusetts. (mroach/flickr)

The media has been attacked a lot in the last few months. Not a day goes by in which Donald Trump does not blame the media for one of his many shortcomings. Regular Americans go out of their way to accuse the media of reporting on a story incorrectly or for not being objective. 99 percent of the time, the public is wrong. The media does a fantastic job at giving people the information in the most accurate way possible whenever they can. Yet sometimes the media screws up or, in a certain network’s case, they always screw up. For those of you who have been following along with the news these past few days, you know that I am of course talking about Fox News.

For those who have not been following along, Fox News showed that racism is alive and well in America on Oct. 3, 2016.

On the network’s infamous show “The O’Reilly Factor”, one of the show’s correspondents, Jesse Watters, went to Chinatown in Manhattan to ask the Chinese people there what they think of the current presidential candidates stance on China. While this kind of segment might seem kind of innocent it did not stay that way for long. Watters made multiple insensitive and racist remarks, including asking if he had to bow and then later asking if watches that a man was selling were fake or stolen.

Watters asked people across Chinatown if they supported China or thought that China was America’s enemy. Watters made fun of people who clearly couldn’t speak English and played into stereotypes that people have about Asian-Americans. Throughout the segment, Fox News inserted odd video segments from popular movies including a scene of Mr. Miyagi from the Karate Kid (who isn’t even Chinese). At one point, Jesse Watters went to learn Taekwondo which also isn’t Chinese, it’s Korean.

At the end of the segment, O’Reilly and Watters joked about all of the hate they were going to get from this segment and how it was all in good fun. As someone who is an Asian-American citizen, I don’t think that it was fun at all. Fox News keeps trying to tell people that it is an unbiased news source that is only after answering the big stories. Based off of their attitude in the last segment the only thing that I can see is that Fox News is as racist as the rest of the country is.

Minorities have been under attack this past year. Trump has been gaining support from notable white supremacists, whether or not he wants that support is not really clear. Not a week goes by in which we don’t hear about another colored person being shot and sometimes killed by a white officer. Islamophobia is at an all-time high, though based on the way that I’m sometimes treated, it’s more like brown-people-phobia.

With all of that going on, you would think that Fox News and the O’Reilly Factor would have enough tact and class to not poke fun at a group of people that have been suffering for a very long time. Apparently not. Fox News is supposed to be a legitimate news organization. They are not supposed to poke fun at different groups of people. They make fun of shows like the Daily Show and Last Week Tonight for their coverage but right now they are no better.

Chinese-Americans and all Asian-Americans are a group of proud people with a long history in the United States. It is 2016, we should not be treating them as some kind of weird offshoot of the American population. Bill O’Reilly can say it was done all in good fun but if another network poked fun at another specific group of the American population that Bill O’Reilly associated with, he would more than likely declare it as a war on himself.

Asian-Americans are still Americans. There is no reason that they should be poked fun at. Fox News would never allow its shows to poke fun at groups of white people especially if it is to attack their culture. That in itself is racism and Fox News needs to do better. If they are going to attack other media groups then they need to fix themselves first.

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and opinion’s staff columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email