October Movie Marathons: Freeform's '13 Nights of Halloween' and SyFy's '31 Days of Halloween'

"The Nightmare Before Christmas" is the first to air of the 13 Nights of Halloween at 5:30 p.m. EDT on Freeform. (Charles Rodstrom/Flickr Creative Commons)

October will be full of Halloween spirit and scares with this year’s lineup of horror movies presented on the Freeform and Syfy channels.

Fans were fearful when ABC Family switched over to Freeform this past January.  Questions were raised about whether the 17 year old tradition would continue, and the audience will be relieved to find out that it will play on.

The 13 Nights of Halloween, previously known as the 13 Days of Halloween, will begin with “The Nightmare Before Christmas” on Wednesday, Oct. 19.

This will continue with family friendly movies all the way until 12 p.m. on October 31, ending with the classic, “Hocus Pocus.”

A couple of the featured movies being played are “The Addams Family,” “Sleepy Hollow,” “Paranorman” and “Scooby Doo.”

Some may be disappointed to learn that the Halloweentown series will be shown only once and will play at midnight during nights seven through 11.

Some classic movies are unfortunately left out of the lineup this year, such as “Coraline,” “Casper” and “Twitches.”

However, classics like “Matilda,” and “The Goonies” will play multiple times.

The majority of the 13 days will have movies all day, starting at 7 a.m. and ending at midnight.  However, some days will not begin playing movies until 4 p.m.

For a full lineup of the movies playing on Freeform, along with dates and times, visit http://www.ibtimes.com/13-nights-halloween-2016-schedule-freeform-full-lineup-released-when-what-watch-2410776.

For something a little scarier, look toward the 31 Days of Halloween on the Syfy channel.

This channel will be playing Syfy original movies every Saturday, with the exception of “Channel Zero: Candle Cove,” an anthology series premiering on Tuesday, Oct. 11.  They will be played at 9 p.m.

This event has already started, with “The Crooked Man,” on Oct. 1, a movie similar to the Bloody Mary children’s game in the way that by singing a nursery rhyme, you summon a demonic being who will kill everyone present during the song.

The idea of the crooked man has been seen before in another excellent scary movie, “The Conjuring 2.”

The upcoming Syfy original, “Stake Land 2” will air on Saturday, Oct. 15.  This film features vampires and the need to save a woman from an evil brotherhood.

A couple of other movies being played are “Shadows of the Dead” and “The Day of Reckoning.”

The last movie played will be on Saturday, Oct. 29, a couple of days before Halloween.  “The Night Before Halloween,” follows a Halloween prank gone wrong that leads to a mysterious creature killing off the prank participants.  The characters try to find a way to transfer the curse to some other unfortunate person.

For a full lineup of original movies playing on Syfy, with times and dates visit http://www.blastr.com/2016-9-26/check-out-syfys-31-days-halloween-line-led-new-horror-anthology-channel-zero.

Kayla Pallette is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at kayla.pallette@uconn.edu.