Women's Soccer: UConn tops Houston 1-0

Stephanie Ribeiro (#18) battles for possession in UConn's 4-0 win over Memphis on Oct. 4, 2016 at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium. The Huskies beat Houston 1-0 on Sunday, Oct. 9, 2016.

Coming off of a double overtime slugfest against SMU on Thursday, where neither team could notch a goal in a 0-0 tie, the UConn women’s soccer team was able to wrap up their Texas trip on a positive note. The Huskies (11-2-1) defeated Houston (6-4-1) 1-0 on Sunday.

The Houston game got off to a similar start to the SMU game in that the Huskies simply couldn’t find the back of the net. Early on, it was senior Maddie Damm generating the offense for the Huskies. She would put five shots on net in the first seventeen minutes, but came away empty handed.

It was part of a dominant first half from the Huskies as they outshot the Cougars 12-0. UConn thought they had scored in the 27th minute, as freshman midfielder Alana Moore put one past Houston keeper Rachel Estopare for what would have been her first collegiate goal, but it was ruled the ball had gone out of bounds earlier in the play.

Houston would pick things up in the second half as they mustered the first two shots of action a couple minutes in. Still, UConn would continue to hold the advantage, but Houston’s offense performed better in the second half.

A little past the halfway point of the second half, UConn would strike. It came from an unlikely source, which is any UConn player who is not either star senior forwards Rachel Hill and Stephanie Ribeiro.

Instead of a pair of seniors connecting, it was a pair of freshman. Regan Schiappa, a defender/midfielder, found midfielder Erin Spillane for her first collegiate goal, and the Huskies’ first and only goal of the game.

It was a fairly dominant offensive performance from the Huskies despite having only one goal to show for it. UConn outshot Houston 20-3 on the day and Emily Armstrong made saves when she had to.

The Huskies will leave the Lone Star State with a 1-0-1 road trip, and they are now 3-0-1 in-conference. That should be enough to improve or maintain their national No. 21 ranking in the polls. They’ll now have a week home in Storrs as they host the American Athletic Conference’s Florida duo in UCF and USF later this week.

Matt Barresi is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.barresi@uconn.edu.