Spooky fall recipes featuring apples

The writer and our Associate Life Editor headed to Wright's Orchard to pick up the main ingredients for their dishes. Apple picking is a great way to get into the fall spirit. (Megan Krementowski/The Daily Campus)

Mini Apple Pie

You will need:

• Muffin pan
  • A large glass or round cookie cutter
  • One pie crust
  • 1/2 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup of white sugar
  • 1/3 stick of salted butter
  • 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice
  • 2 apples

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease the muffin pan.

Start by peeling and cutting the apples in very small pieces and placing them in a large bowl. Melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave and spread it over the apples, mixing well. Then add the brown sugar, white sugar, ground cinnamon and lemon juice to the mixture. Stir well to coat the apples completely. Set aside.

The finished product. Yum! (Megan Krementowski/The Daily Campus)

Roll out the dough on a flat surface, preferably spread some flour on it to prevent the dough from sticking. Using anything cylindrical you have on hand, flatten out the dough slightly.

Using a glass or a cookie cutter, cut out circles from the dough, making sure that they are almost as wide as the muffin pan holes. Place each circle in the pan, making sure to bring the dough over the top of the pan slightly. Using a spoon, put some of the apple mixture at the center of each spot.

Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the edges of the crust are golden brown.

Almost Healthy Cinnamon Apple Muffins

You will need:

• Muffin pan
  • 1 ¼ cup of whole wheat flour
  • 1/3 cup of coconut oil
  • One tablespoon of cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup of brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/3 cup of almond milk
  • One teaspoon of baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
  • Pecans
  • 2 apples

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and grease the muffin pan.

In a bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, sugar, salt, baking power and baking soda. In a smaller bowl, melt the coconut oil. Add the almond milk, eggs and oil to the mix and stir until well incorporated. The mixture should be dense.

Break pecans into smaller pieces and add them to the bowl. Peel and slice the apples into small pieces and stir them in as well.

Scoop the dough into the muffin pan, filling them ¾ of the way up.

Bake for 12-15 minutes at 425 degrees Fahrenheit.

Margaux Ancel is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at margaux.ancel@uconn.edu